PhD or Postdoc in Engineering Ethics, Ethics of Technology, Ethics of AI, data ethics
Prof. Saskia Nagel
- +49 241 / 80 25486
- Send Email
Applied Ethics with a Focus on the Ethics of Technology and Environmental Ethics
With a background in Cognitive Science and Philosophy, Professor Nagel develops approaches to individual and societal challenges in a technological culture, with a focus on the ethical, anthropological, and social consequences of scientific and technological progress.
The interdisciplinary research group on Applied Ethics explores how new human-technology-relations - as for example enabled by research in the fields of neuroscience, cognitive science, AI, or data science - influence human self-understanding, and the understanding of values. Recent projects investigate questions of autonomy, responsibility, and trust. The group combines research in applied ethics with philosophy of mind and philosophy and ethics of technology and involves studies on the public understanding of sciences and technological advances.
The current position is situated in the Cluster of Excellence "Internet of Production" funded by the German Research Foundation. In this multidisciplinary research project at the core of research and innovation in industry 4.0 the position should contribute to the ethical reflection of the project with a focus on human-machine interaction and responsibilities in the Internet of Production.
- Requirement for this position is an University degree (Master or equivalent) and/or dissertation in Philosophy and/or Applied Ethics and/or Interdisciplinary Studies, with a specialization in Philosophy/Ethics
- Pronounced knowledge in Applied Ethics and/or Practical Philosophy
- Experience in interdisciplinary work
- Good analytical skills
- Good IT-skills
- Previous work has already been presented at conferences and accepted in international, competitive journals
- Very good proficiency in English (oral and written)
- Ability to independent scientific work
- Responsibility, creativity, flexibility, team orientation
- Willingness to teach in various degree programs on issues of applied ethics
- Competence in ethical theory
- Experiences with reflection on current developments in the field of engineering, human-technology interaction, or autonomous systems
- Knowledge and practical experience in methods of empirical social research or empirical philosophy
You will be involved with research tasks within the Cluster of Excellence "Internet of Production". Your responsibilities are:
- The ethical reflection of questions of artifical intelligence, automation, changes in working environments, and new areas of responsibility
- Studies in cooperation with engineers, computer scientists, and psychologists on moral dilemmas in engineering research and application
- Assistance in the preparation, implementation and follow-up of project workshops
- Publication of project results in journals and/or presentation of results at international conferences
- Communication in the Cluster of Excellence
The following application documents are required: Letter of motivation, CV, research project proposal up to 750 words, certificates, publication list, if you have a PhD, either a summary and table of contents of your dissertation or the entire dissertation, and the names of two references.
What we offer
The successful candidate will be employed as a regular employee.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible and for 2 or 3 years.
This is a part-time position (50% of the standard weekly hours for full-time employees). It is also available as full-time employment depending on qualification (with a PhD).
The successful candidate has the opportunity to pursue a doctoral degree in this position.
The salary corresponds to level EG 13 TV-L.
RWTH Aachen University is certified as a Family-Friendly University.
We particularly welcome and encourage applications from women, disabled persons and ethnic minority groups, recognizing they are underrepresented across RWTH Aachen University.
The principles of fair and open competition apply and appointments will be made on merit.
|Mailing Address:||RWTH Aachen University/ Humtec Centre|
LuF Angewandte Ethik mit dem Schwerpunkt Technik- und Umweltethik
Please note, however, that communication via unencrypted e-mail poses a threat to confidentiality as it is potentially vulnerable to unauthorized access by third parties.