The Excellence Initiative at RWTH AachenPeter Winandy
In June 2012, RWTH’s Institutional Strategy II, titled “RWTH 2020 – Meeting Global Challenges: The Integrated Interdisciplinary University of Technology” was approved by the Joint Commission of the German Research Foundation and the German Council of Science and Humanities. This decision in Germany’s Excellence Initiative strengthens the leading position of RWTH Aachen University in Germany and enhances its international competitiveness.
“Due to our success in all of the three funding lines, we are facing a unique and valuable opportunity to further sharpen our scientific profile,” declares RWTH Rector Ernst Schmachtenberg. RWTH Aachen will therefore be able to pursue top-level research and improve its international visibility. Schmachtenberg emphasizes that “RWTH strives to be one of the world’s best integrated interdisciplinary technical universities by the year 2020.”
RWTH is investing the funding amount of approx. 60 million Euros for the Institutional Strategy II into “excellent” activities. Furthermore, the two approved Clusters of Excellence, Integrative Production Technology for High-Wage Countries and Tailor-Made Fuels from Biomass will receive funding of 28 million Euros each. The Graduate School Aachen Institute for Advanced Study in Computational Engineering Science (AICES) will invest 7.4 million Euros to further enhance its top-level doctoral programs.
Lecture Series: At the Focus - the Excellence Initiative at RWTH Aachen
- HumTec – June 1, 2016, 7pm, Centre Charlemagne, Katschhof 1 (pdf: 360 kb)
- ERS – June 8, 2016, 7pm, Generali Hall, SuperC, Templergraben 57 (pdf: 191 kb)
- Production Engineering – July 13, 2016, 7pm, Generali Hall, SuperC, Templergraben 57 (pdf: 316 kb)
- AICES – June 15, 2016, 7pm, Generali Hall, SuperC, Templergraben 57 (pdf: 259 kb)
The RWTH Excellence Activities at a Glance:
RWTH 2020: Meeting Global Challenges. The Integrated Interdisciplinary University of Technology
- Aachen Institute for Advanced Study in Computational Engineering Science, AICES
- Production Technology
- Tailor-Made Fuels from Biomass