Chemical Laboratory AssistantRWTH Aachen
- Secondary School-Leaving Certificate: Fachoberschulreife
- Selection Process: Application, interviews, trial period
- Personal Requirements: Enthusiasm for and interest in chemistry, mathematics, and physics; aptitude for independent, careful, and responsible work; aptitude for testing, controlling, and evaluating tasks
- Aptitude Test: Yes
- Length of Training: 3 years
- Professional Association: Industrie- und Handelskammer Aachen
- Exam: Extended final exam (Part 1 during training, Part 2 at the end of training)
- Dual Qualification: Students who perform well have the opportunity to gain a university of applied science entrance qualification in parallel to their training at the vocational school.
- Continued Training: Depending on some school requirements, training can serve as the foundation for later studies at a university of applied sciences or a research university. Continued training for the state tested Technikerinnen and Technikern is also possible.
Chemical laboratory assistants mainly deal with producing compounds and conducting quality checks of these compounds. In order to meet the guidelines of environmental analysis, you have to master a number of research methods in theory and practice: wet chemistry; volumetric, gravimetric, physical, and spectroscopic analyses; and analyses in gas chromatography, high-pressure chromatography, and ion chromatography. Depending on the institute and research project, the practical training will vary, whereas it is particularly interesting to be involved in every day lab life and to "research with others." The RWTH Aachen Berufsausbildungszentrum Chemie, offers inter-institute internships, that involve exam relevant tasks, that are not covered in all university institutions. Additionally, project weeks take place in collaboration with the Berufskolleg. Vocation specific subjects are taught at the Berufskolleg Stolberg des Schulverbandes in der StädteRegion Aachen.
Practical training takes placeat the respective university institution and in the RWTH Aachen Chemistry Vocational Training Center.
School training takes place in the Berufskolleg Simmerath/Stolberg Schulort Stolberg, Am Obersteinfeld 8, 52222 Stolberg two days a week.
Salary, Job Ticket, and Vacation during Training
1st Training Year: 901.82 Euros
2nd Training Year: 955.96 Euros
3rd Training Year: 1,005.61 Euros
Contributions to capital formation: 13.29 Euros
Job Ticket: starting January 1, 2016, 20 Euros a month
Christmas Bonus: 95 percent of November salary
Vacation Days: 29 days a year
Brief Information: Chemical Laboratory Assistant (de)
(pdf: 152 kb)
Here you can find initial information at a glance!
Detailed Career Information for Chemical Laboratory Assistants (de)
(pdf: 45 kb)
Important information and tips for questions, aptitude, length of training, and the work field
Practice Exercises for Chemical Laboratory Assistants (de)
(pdf: 54 kb)
Use these exercises to prepare for the aptitude test. Use this tool!
Solution Guide to Practice Exercises for Chemical Laboratory Assistants (de)
(pdf: 62 kb)
Here you can find the answers to the practice exercises.