The Profile AreasRWTH Aachen
RWTH is convinced that in order to solve today's complex and multi-faceted problems, universities have to develop appropriate, integrated approaches. The University's new Institutional Strategy is a major step towards realizing a comprehensive integration. One core element is the development and integration of Profile Areas, with the aim to further consolidate and enhance interdisciplinary collaboration.
The University has defined the following eight Profile Areas:
The Profile Areas are designed to address interdisciplinary topics and thus to enhance the University’s capability to engage in significant research activities and take on large-scale projects.
By further developing these profile areas, the University seeks to:
Poster: The Profile Areas
- Improve the communication and exchange of ideas between scientists and optimize workflows
- Pool scientific expertise and improve the alignment and integration of research activities
- Create new opportunities to integrate existing initiatives and encourage the bottom-up generation of ideas
- Foster and promote inter-faculty development planning initiatives and improve the potential to successfully address new interdisciplinary questions and problems
- Enhance the scientific profile of the University, both at the national and international level.
Enhancing Multi-Disciplinary Collaboration
The overall goal ist efficiently and effectively to organize multi-disciplinary collaboration at RWTH Aachen, so as to implement the objectives and measures defined in the "Strategy 2020" and the Institutional Stratgy, "Meeting Global Challenges."
The success of the Profile Areas must be based on excellent fundamental research conducted at the level of the individual disciplines.
The success and significance of the Profile Areas are measured using performance indicators, such as publications, international recognition of research results, and external funding.