Leave of AbsenceRWTH Aachen
Gathering practical experiences, spending a semester abroad, assuming care of a child - there are many reasons to take a leave of absence from your studies for a certain period of time. What a semester of leave is, how to get it approved, and what reasons are recognized by RWTH Aachen are below.
Acceptable Grounds for a Leave of Absence Include:
- An internship or practical activity that serves the purpose of your studies
- Study abroad at a university or language school
- Military or civil service
- Care and accomodation, first and foremost, for affiliated individuals (spouse, partner, children, relatives, in-laws)
- Pregnancy or care of children not yet of school age (Note: You can request a maximum of 6 semesters of leave per child)
- Term of imprisonment
- An economic emergency that handicaps the expected academic performance in the respective semester (Note: This is only possible if you did not have a leave of absence in the previous semester for the same reason).
- Other important reasons, that can be verified by your contact person in the Registrar's Office
Common Questions About Leaves of Absence
How can I take a leave of absence?
You must personally turn in an application for a semester of leave to your contact person in the Registrar's Office.
When do I apply for a leave of absence?
During the registration period for the following semester.
Can I get a leave of absence every semester?
No, leaves of absence are only possible starting in the second course semester for Bachelor, Master, or Diplom courses of study. An exception is that you can apply for a semester of leave for the first course semester in a Master course of study, if you will be studying abroad or completing an internship during that first semester.
Do I need to provide proof of my reason for taking a leave of absence?
Yes, when you apply for a leave of absence, you must provide proof that the reason given exists, e.g. through an acceptance letter from your host school abroad, your child's birth certificate, or a written acceptance for your internship.
The reason for my leave of absence is now inapplicable or nonexistent. What now?
Should the reason for your leave of absence prematurely end - if, for example, you do not start your internship or you have to end early - you must tell your designated contact person in the Registrar's Office. This is in accordance with the enrollment guidelines. If you do not tell the university that you are no longer taking your leave of absence, you will still be considered to be on leave and will not be able take any exams during this time.