Enrollment for Internationals
After admission, you must provide the following documents for enrolment.
- A valid passport. EU citizens can alternatively present their identity card.
- Letter of admission to RWTH Aachen
- Original Bachelor’s and Master’s degree certificates or certificates for equivalent degrees
- Translations of your degree certificates and academic record/transcript with grades, translated by a certified translator recognized by the Germany Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The translation agency can be located in Germany as well.
- If demanded by your supervisor: Originals of your language certificates.
a) If your dissertation is written in German: Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang, DSH, or: Test für Deutsch als Fremdsprache, TestDaF, or an equivalent language certificate.
b) If your dissertation is written in English: International English Language Testing System, IELTS for short, with a grade of 6.0 or higher; or: Test of English as Foreign Language, with at least 80 IBT or 550 PBT points; or: Certificate in Advanced English, CAE.
- Evidence of your health insurance from a public Germany health insurance provider. If you have taken out sufficient health insurance in your home country or a private insurance covering your stay in Germany, one of the public insurance providers must provide you with a written confirmation of exemption from taking out a German health insurance. Please note: without presenting this written confirmation, you cannot be enrolled at RWTH Aachen. Public insurance providers are, for example, are Techniker Krankenkasse, TK for short, oder die Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse, AOK.
- If you were enrolled at a German university in the past: Proof of de-enrollment or exmatriculation from this university
- If your letter of admission included a list of missing documents still to be submitted or presented, such as language certificates or academic records, please provide these documents
- The original written confirmation by your doctoral supervisor that he or she is willing to supervise your doctoral thesis
Please note that all these documents must be submitted to or presented at the International Office before you can be enrolled for PhD study.
Your letter of admission contains information on where and when to enroll. Please read the letter and all enclosed documents carefully, as they provide you with important information on enrollment and the start of your doctoral studies.