Erasmus+ Teaching Staff Mobility
Staff Training Assignment = STA
The Erasmus+ Program also offers funding for staff mobility at European host universities to supplement its funding for student mobility.
Visiting lecturers are expected to strengthen the European dimension of the host university through the stay, supplement the classes offered, and offer students their expertise, who cannot or do not wish to study abroad.
When possible, the development of joint academic programs between the partner universities and the exchange of teaching content and methods should also play a role.
Advantages of Erasmus+ Mobility for Teaching (STA – Staff Assignment)
- Gather international teaching experience
- Learn new teaching methods
- Share with European colleagues
The following individuals can be financially funded by the Erasmus+ Program:
- Professors and lecturers with a contract with RWTH Aachen
- Lecturers without remuneration
- Contract lecturers with special order contracts at RWTH Aachen
- Professors emeriti and retired teachers from RWTH Aachen
- Academic staff at RWTH Aachen
EU Member Countries
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, United Kingdom
Program Countries Outside of the EU
Iceland, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Norway, Turkey
The program country cannot be the primary residence of the person applying.
The mobility must take place at a foreign university with a valid Erasmus-Charter for Higher Education, ECHE.
Requirements for Funding
- Erasmus+ mobility for teaching is possible for at least two consecutive days to a maximum of 60 days.
- Mobility for teaching purposes must encompass at least eight instructional hours within a week as well as within a shorter timeframe, such as for instance:
- for a three-day stay – eight hours of teaching
- for a seven-day stay – eight hours of teaching
- for every additional day of the stay beyond a week, the instructional hours will be partially calculated. Example: eight-day stay – rounded up to nine hours of teaching (seven days/eight hours = 0.875 hours per additional day).
- The stay at the university abroad can only be funded if a written agreement in form of an Erasmus+ agreement for the specific time period as well as an STA action agreement have been concluded first.
- Stays to take part in conferences cannot be funded. The same is true for visits undertaken for the purpose of developing new university partnerships.
- Financial assistance for costs resulting from travel and accomodations is offered at RWTH Aachen according to the State Travel Costs Act and Cost Reimbursement Ordinance for Abroad.
- As a rule, pre-financing of a stay abroad should be made possible with faculty or institute funds. That is why, in your application – the so-called Mobility Agreement – we ask you to specify a PSP element, through which pre-financing can be arranged. After travel expenses have been paid, you will receive reimbursement of the amount eligible for funding by Erasmus+ to the account of the specified PSP element. Please contact us if this requirement is not fulfilled.
- Erasmus+ wants to promote equal opportunity and inclusion, which is why applicants with a disability are given preferential treatment in getting into the program as well as receive additional special support. For information regarding this special funding program please contact Adriane Sehlinger.
Teaching stays must be independently initiated and organized together with the host university abroad. Ideally, an Erasmus+ mobility is reciprocal. So please encourage your partners to visit RWTH in turn.
Participants must ensure they have sufficient insurance during their stay abroad as the Erasmus+ grant and mobility stipend do not include any insurance.
Application and Documents
The Mobility Agreement must be completely filled out and signed and submitted to Claudia Hanke at least six weeks before your planned stay begins. This Mobility Agreement is considered the application for Erasmus+ Staff Assignment. You can submit the Mobility Agreement as a scanned copy.
Additional forms and information needed for financial assistance will be sent once the application has been approved.
A Note on Safety
In view of political tensions in some of the Erasmus countries we advise those who are planning a stay abroad to check the website of the Federal Foreign Office, in particular its travel warnings (de), on a regular basis.