PROMOS Study or Internship Abroad Scholarships
- Target Group:
- Direction / Place:
- +49 241 80 90687
- Send Email
PROMOS, a scholarship program of the German Academic Exchange Service, DAAD for short, is financed with means from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. It has been promoting the mobility of students abroad with scholarships for short term study since 2010.
The program enables German univerisities to set their own focuses for stays abroad and thus attain the goals of the each university's own internationalization strategy.
In accordance with RWTH Aachen's internationalization concept, applications are only possible for the following countries:
- Australia, China, India, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Oman, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and all countries on the American and African continents.
Stays in other countries will not be funded by the PROMOS scholarship.
Who can apply?
RWTH Aachen students from any faculty and degree program at all stages of study who
- are planning a semester abroad
- wish to finish a thesis or project
- or wish to complete an internship
in one of the countries listed above, can be funded with partial scholarships for their stay from January 2018 to the end of February 2019 from DAAD funds. Doctoral candidates, with the exception of medical students, are not eligible to apply for a PROMOS scholarship; however, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers various funding opportunities for doctoral candidates.
Internships which fit the profile of specific DAAD programs cannot be funded through the PROMOS program. These include internships at international organizations such as the United Nations, EU institutions, bodies which administrate EU programs, German representations abroad, the German Humanities Institutes Abroad, the Goethe Institutes, the German Archaeological Institute, and the German Schools Abroad.
Further Application Requirements
- You have not received any funding from the PROMOS program so far.
- You have a current average grade of at least 3.0.
- You have already received confirmation from your host university of your stay abroad.
- You are not receiving any other scholarships for the stay from German public funds, RWTH, the host university, or the host country. You can find more information under Scholarship Details.
When can one apply?
The first application deadline for stays in 2018 is on December 1, 2017.
Applications can be submitted before any application deadline, as long as the process for the respective selection period has not been completed. A retroactive promotion is not possible. Funding is only possible from the month of the selection procedure and also only if the minimum duration of the stay is from this date (see "Scholarship Details"). The application portal opens four to six weeks before the respective deadline. The selection takes place approximately six weeks after the deadline.
- The scholarships are awarded for periods between one and six months; internships must last longer than six weeks. The RWTH Aachen project coordinator will first determine the number of months funded after the selection period. This can range from one to six months and depends on the availability of funds.
- A partial scholarship of at least 300 Euros per month will be awarded and/or a country specific travel stipend (de). Scholarships will be disbursed monthly. Travel cost stipends and partial scholarships can be awarded separately.
- The PROMOS program is not responsible for any organizational support in planning your stay. It is solely a funding program. You can of course use one of the International Office's structured mobility programs and participate in the group advising sessions offered.
- You may simultaneously apply for multiple scholarship programs. However you cannot accept multiple forms of financial support, for a scholarship for your stay that are funded by German public means, RWTH funds, the host university, or the host country. Double funding for a stay abroad from different RWTH Aachen scholarship programs, such as MOGAM, MIRAI, or UROP, is not allowed.
- You may use scholarships that finance studies at RWTH Aachen and are not directly related to your planned stay, such as a Deutschland scholarship or NRW scholarship, along with the PROMOS scholarship.
- Doubled funding for your stay abroad from various RWTH Aachen scholarship programs, such as MOGAM or MIRAI is not allowed.
- If you receive the PROMOS scholarship and Bafög for abroad, you are required to notify the BaFöG office of the amount of your PROMOS scholarship.
Please apply online and upload the following documents:
- Letter of Confirmation or Internship Contract from the host institution. Alternatively: Nomination from RWTH Aachen
- Tabular resume
- Evidence of proficiency in the language of your host country, for example through a language certificate such as TOEFL, and certificate from the Language Center or your Abitur certificate
- Acadmic transcript, of the last completed semester
Certificate of Progress of Studies
- Other voluntary documentation, for example awards, volunteer involvement, etc.
In the online application, information about your motivation is requested.
The application documents must be put in one PDF document that can be no larger than 5 megabytes. Applications must be received by the respective deadline. Incomplete applications and applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Scholarship winners for a PROMOS scholarship are selected by a university commission in the International Office about six weeks after each application deadline.
- Quality of application
- Academic achievements
- Quality of project abroad, that is the process and motivation from a technical-qualitative perspective
- Sufficient language skills
- Other qualifications
If you are selected, you must submit the following documents:
- Letter of Acceptance, after receiving the selection letter
- Confirmation from your host institution, "certificate" of your actual stay, as soon as possible after you return
- Two experience reports, immediately upon your return; DAAD experience report and a self-written report
After submitting the documents listed above, you can request a PROMOS scholarship certificate. For more information please contact Birgit Thun.