Strategic Partnership RWTH Aachen and Tsinghua UniversityPeter Winandy
About the strategic partnership
RWTH Aachen University has been linked in friendship with prestigious Tsinghua University in Beijing for many years. In 1981, a collaborative agreement had already been established between the two universities, who are both recognized for their strong engineering and natural science programs. Since 2001, a Double Degree Program in mechanical engineering has been in existence, which has already produced more than 850 graduates. In 2013, Tsinghua University became RWTH Aachen University's very first strategic partner. The fact that the special funding of this partnership through the DAAD has expired, has been offset by the wish of both universities to establish a privileged partnership. Professor Ernst Schmachtenberg, Rector of RWTH Aachen, and Professor Qiu Yong, President of Tsinghua University, have thus been able to assure each other of their mutual connectedness while also affirming their express wish to keep working together in the future and even further consolidate their relationship.
What is a strategic partnership?
RWTH adopts strategic partnerships with renowned partners with similar profiles, such as the Canadian University of Alberta in Edmonton, the Indian IIT Madras in Chennai, and the Chinese Tsinghua University in Beijing. These special partnerships distinguish themselves through the sustainable expansion of collaboration at all institutional levels. This concerns teaching, research, and administration. Part of this collaboration includes developing joint structures and innovative teaching offers, establishing research associations, and solidifying synergetic collaborative formats. The objective is to sharpen the teaching and research profile and to promote the internationalization of RWTH and its partner universities.
What are the core objectives of the strategic partnership between RWTH and Tsinghua University?
The core objective of the strategic partnership is to cooperatively develop innovative solutions and cutting-edge technologies in order to meet the global challenges of our day. For this purpose, scientific partnerships are to be expanded, application-orientation, entrepreneurship and collaborations with industry are to be promoted and students are more intensively to be trained to become highly qualified and culturally sensitive staff. International visibility and mobility on all levels are to be boosted, research-oriented (and digital) teaching is to be strengthened, and common governance and administrative structures are to be established. Through optimal research opportunities and the promotion of their careers, academic talent and elite researchers are generally to be attracted.
What are the key topics of the strategic partnership between RWTH and Tsinghua University?
Tsinghua University's partnership with RWTH Aachen is characterized by a multitude of activities. Special focus areas are, for instance, in Mechanical Engineering in collaboration with the Sino-German Joint Laboratory of Innovative Design and Manufacturing of Advanced Mechanical Systems, in the research conducted into sustainable energy at the IKDG in partnership with the Clean Energy Research Initiative, as well as in the field of Management, Business and Economics – both through a special faculty partnership and through the WIN-Program. At the Laboratory for Machine Tools and Production Engineering, WZL for short, the project "StarTest" is furthermore being realized in partnership with Tsinghua University from 2018 to 2021. It's objective is the standardization of test processes for batteries used for electromobility purposes in Germany and China.
- Successes of the Strategic Partnership Since 2013
- Aachen-Tsinghua Workshop on the Future of Electricity Generation Technologies
- Flipped Classroom „Laser Applications“ von Professor Poprawe an der Tsinghua University
- Tsinghua Double Master's Graduate Honored as Best Master's Student at Tsinghua University
- New Exchange Program Between RWTH and Tsinghua University
- Press Release: RWTH Professors Accompany Minister President Hannelore Kraft on Her Visit to China
- RWTH Delegation Visits Partners in China and Japan
- First Alumni Meeting of the Tsinghua RWTH University Partnership
- Delegation from Tsinghua University Has Visited RWTH Aachen
- In the RWTHinsight 01/2014, Sabine Busse reports on the administrator exchange between RWTH and Tsinghua University
- In Issue 57 of the RWTH alumni magazine Keep In Touch, Birte Seffert reports on the Strategic Partnership
- Bloghaus der RWTH – Fabian writes about his year at Tsinghua University
Newsletter of the RWTH office in Beijing
The newsletter of the RWTH office in Beijing reports on the Strategic Partnership in issues 02/2013, 02/2015, 03/2015 and 01/2016.
- Speech by German Chancellor Angela Merkel on the Occisaion of Her Visit to Tsinghua University on July 8, 2014 (de)
- Tsinghua University best Chinese university in the 2014/15 QS World Ranking (de)