What is RWTHonline?Copyright: Martin Braun
- Send Email
RWTHonline is an integrated campus management system which will be implemented across RWTH starting in the winter term of 2018/2019. A pilot phase was launched for the 2017/2018 winter semester. On December 4, the application and admissions management functions and the student and fee management functions in RWTHonline will go live. According to the project plan, all other RWTHonline functions will be available by summer 2018.
RWTHonline will replace the systems mainly used at RWTH so far, namely CAMPUS and HIS. The basis of RWTHonline is CAMPUSonline, a system developed at the Technical University of Graz. TU Graz has adapated CAMPUSonline to RWTH's needs. The introduction of RWTHonline is one of the two central goals of the PuL Project.
Members of the University, in particular employees who will be working with the new system, find further information on the introduction of the new software on the intranet: RWTHonline Info Portal (de).
In the middle of September 2017 an information event was held for the introduction of RWTHonline.
Students in the courses of study participating in the pilot operation, the Chemistry Bachelor’s program and the Political Science Master’s program, please refer to the information provided on our web page concerned with the pilot phase.
Fragen und Antworten zu RWTH-online
What is a Campus Management System?
A campus management system, CMS for short, is an IT system that covers all the operational processes within the areas of studying and teaching at a university, such as application, enrollment, or conducting classes and exams. The software supports all crucial components of the Student Life Cycle. Since it brings together many different functions in one system and consistenly provides all data in a collective database, it is often called an integrated Campus Management System. RWTHonline, the software being introduced in Aachen, is an integrated campus management system.
Why does RWTH need a new CMS?
RWTH needs a new campus management system because its current IT infrastructure for the organization of studies and teaching has reached its limits and is no longer meeting the University's demands. The introduction of RWTHonline ensures innovative and sustainable IT support for all of the processes in the Student Life Cycle.
What are the advantages of introducing RWTHonline?
- Everyone – students and employees in the faculties, administration, and IT Center – work with the same system, making agreements between the involved parties easier.
- Employees only need a single log-in in order to carry out different functions (= a package of authorizations) in the system.
- The new system is web-based – the responsive design improves the display on smartphones and tablets.
- A German and English user interface is available to all users.
- Redundant data storage will be avoided as much as possible. Data management will be more efficient and there will be fewer error sources.
- Databases will be simplified and improved, data quality increases, resulting in more reliable reports.
- There will be fewer paper-based processes, for example through the implementation of an online-based application.
What aspects of the student life cycle are supported by RWTH online? And when?
- Application and Admissions Management – starting Summer Semester 2018
- Student und Fees Management – starting Summer Semester 2018
- Courses of Study Management – starting Winter Semester 2018/19
- Event and Study Space Management – starting Winter Semester 2018/19
- Registration and Deregistration Management for courses and exams – starting Winter Semester 2018/19
- Exam Management – starting Winter Semester 2018/19
Who is involved in the implementation of RWTHonline?
RWTHonline is launched as part of the PuL Project. Its implementation takes place within seven sub-projects and four coordination projects. More than 100 individuals from the Faculties, the administration, the IT Center, and the student body are actively involved in the implementation of the software.