- Secondary School-Leaving Certificate: Fachhochschulreife or gute Fachoberschulreife
- Selection Process: Application and interview
- Persönliche Voraussetzung: Enthusiasm for handicraft working; interest in electronics, electrical engineering, mechanics, computer science, and data processing; interest in mechanical-technical or electronic processes; ability to problem solve
- Aptitude Test: Yes. You must pass the test to continue on to the selection process.
- Length of Training: three and a half years
- Professional Association: Industrie- und Handelskammer Aachen
- Exam: extended final exam (Part 1 during training, Part 2 at the end of training)
- Continued Training: Meisterin or Meister, Technikerin or Techniker
Mechatronics engineers build mechanical, electrical, and electronic components, mount them into complex systems, install control software, and maintain systems. They must feel comfortable in the fields of machine and facility construction and automatization technology.
Parts must be tailor-made both manually and by machine in metalworking processes to meet the industry's demands. Information about electrical components, building circuits, and diagnosing errors are taught both through theory and practice. During the entire apprencticeship, apprentices are given a glance at internal operational processes. They learn the fundamentals of operational and technical communication and the application of this communication to solve problems and conflicts.
The focus of this apprenticeship is on work at testing benches for the examination of powertrains. Previously acquired skills are applied in the fields of assembly, installation, and programming. This includes the construction of measurement units and the design and construction of special devices necessary for the construction. Maintenance work on the test bench is also indepdently completed.
Practical training takes place at the university's Institute for Automotive Engineering.
Vocational training courses take place two days a week at the Mies-van-der-Rohe-Schule, Berufskolleg für Technik der Stadt Aachen, Neuköllnerstraße 17, 52068 Aachen.
Salary, Job Ticket, and Vacation during Training
1st Training Year: 986.82 euros
2nd Training Year: 1,040.96 euros
3rd Training Year: 1,090.61 euros
4th Training Year: 1,159.51 euros
Contributions to capital formation: 13.29 euros
Job Ticket: starting January 1, 2018, 21 euros a month
Christmas Bonus: 95 percent of November salary
Vacation Days: 30 days a year
Brief Information: Mechatronics Engineer (de)
(pdf: 34 kb)
Here you can find initial information about the vocation at a glance!