PhD students (m/f) for Molecularly Controlled Combustion System Development
Dipl.-Ing. Bastian Lehrheuer
- +49 241 80 95352
- Send Email
Dr.-Ing. Marco Günther
- +49 241 80 48080
- Send Email
Cluster of Excellence "The Fuel Science Center"
The Cluster of Excellence "The Fuel Science Center - Adaptive Conversion Systems for Renewable Energy and Carbon Sources" (FSC) generates fundamental knowledge as well as novel scientific methodologies to replace today?s fossil fuel-based static scenario by adaptive production and propulsion systems that are based on renewable energy and carbon resources under dynamic system boundaries. The fundamental research in FSC aims to integrate renewable electricity with the joint utilization of bio-based carbon feedstocks and CO2 to provide high-density liquid energy carriers ("bio-hybrid fuels"), which enable innovative engine concepts for highly efficient and clean combustion. FSC capitalizes on achievements of the Cluster of Excellence "Tailor-Made Fuels from Biomass" to act as a structuring element at RWTH Aachen University and its partner institutions. Together with the Forschungszentrum Jülich and the Max-Planck-Institute for Chemical Energy Conversion as well as the MPI für Kohlenforschung at the Campus Mühlheim, a world-class research environment will be established. FSC strengthens disciplinary competences in natural sciences, engineering sciences and social sciences and converges them in a dynamic team science approach.
- University degree (Master or equivalent) in mechanical engineering with concentration on Thermodynamics/Fluid Dynamics disciplines is preferred
- Pronounced knowledge in the field of internal combustion engines preferentially in combination with experience in synthetic fuels
- Proficient computer and software skills (MS Office, Matlab/Simulink, INCA etc.)
- Good English knowledge (written & spoken)
- High degree of initiative, discipline and team spirit
- Ability to work scientifically and independently
- Development of a new highly efficient combustion system with near-to-zero pollutant emissions using carbon-neutral fuels based on renewable ressources
- Direct injection system development (i.e. digital rate shaping, alternative fuels)
- Experimental work at combustion engines test benches with the focus on fuel efficiency and emission reduction
- Accompanying analyses of the thermodynamic process by special measurement technologies and numerical simulations
What we offer
The successful candidate will be employed as a regular employee.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible and 1 year. An extension for at least 2 years is provided.
The standard weekly hours will be 39,83.
The successful candidate has the opportunity to pursue a doctoral degree in this position.
The salary corresponds to level EG 13 TV-L.
RWTH Aachen University is certified as a Family-Friendly University.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of gender.
We particularly welcome and encourage applications from women, disabled persons and ethnic minority groups, recognizing they are underrepresented across RWTH Aachen University.
The principles of fair and open competition apply and appointments will be made on merit.
RWTH Aachen University is an equal opportunities employer. We therefore ask you not to include a photo in your application.
For information on the collection of personal data pursuant to Articles 13 and 14 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), please visit: http://www.rwth-aachen.de/dsgvo-information-bewerbung
|Mailing Address:||RWTH Aachen University|
Fuel Science Center
Please note, however, that communication via unencrypted e-mail poses a threat to confidentiality as it is potentially vulnerable to unauthorized access by third parties.