Promoting Sustainable Operative ProjectsCopyright: © Martin Braun
We wish to structure the operations of RWTH Aachen University in the future in such a way that resource consumption is reduced and that climate neutrality is promoted. Furthermore, we want to ensure that responsible, inclusive cooperation is promoted and carried out even more intensively. To these ends, University management has established the Sustainability Fund.
The Fund shall support projects that contribute to sustainable operations, such as:
- the reduction of energy, material or water/wastewater consumption
- exhaust air and waste reduction
- nature conservation measures
- projects that encourage behavioral change among University members in the spirit of sustainability
All members of RWTH are eligible to apply. Teaching and research cannot be funded; pilot applications that allow for expansion to other higher education institutions will be given priority.
The Fund provides support of up to 450,000 euros, with a maximum funding amount of 25,000 euros per application. After three years, the fund will be evaluated and a decision will be made on whether it should be continued.
University administration will make a decision on which projects are to receive funding once a year.
Depending on the nature of the proposalby, an examination of the proposals will then be carried out the departments and divisions of the Central University Administration, institutes of the individual faculties or central institutions. They will prepare an opinion from a professional, technical, and economic point of view and a specific recommendation shall be made as to whether the project is to be accepted or rejected. Based on these opinions and a catalog of criteria, the applications will then be reviewed in the Sustainability Fund working group.
The following persons belong to the Sustainability Fund working group:
- Rector’s Delegate for Sustainability
- Deputy Chancellor
- Head of Department 7.0 (or their Deputy)
- Head of Department 10.0 (or their Deputy)
- Head of the Sustainability and University Governance Staff Unit
- AStA Representation - Department of Sustainability and Student Engagement
- Representatives from the faculties
We will publish the approved projects in several places, including on this website.
The first application deadline was May 31, 2022. Applications submitted are currently under review, with a decision by the university administration to be made in October 2022.