Sustainability in ResearchCopyright: © Martin Braun
Research – Science and Technology for Society
Our goal is to make our research more sustainable, establishing sustainability as a core topic in all faculties, Profile Areas, and research projects, and providing solutions for a sustainable transformation of our society.
From the Sustainability Mission Statement
Sustainability is understood as a central cross-cutting task and is therefore considered in all spheres of action and areas of work at RWTH. Three GreenTeams (teaching and learning, research, and operations) have been established in order to implement the commitment to a more sustainable RWTH in everyday university life, as stipulated in the Sustainability Mission Statement.
Regular meetings, which are open to all university members, enable participation in the further process and ensure that different perspectives are taken into account in the discussions. In addition, the GreenTeams discuss, develop, and define the goals and measures and for the respective areas – teaching and learning, research, operations – with which RWTH is aligning itself more sustainably.
More information about the GreenTeams and other participation formats can be found under Participation in the Sustainability Process on the Help Build a Sustainable RWTH page. The GreenTeams emerged from the Sustainability at RWTH Workshop in March 2021.
Let's create the world of tomorrow – with cycles for sustainable living!
Professor Kathrin Greiff
Rector's Delegate for Sustainability With a Focus on Research
Funding for Sustainability-Oriented Research
Below you will find a selection of funding bodies, foundations, and contacts that also fund sustainable research projects in particular. More detailed information on the respective topics, funding structures, formats, and modes can be found in the guide Sustainability in University Research on page 38.
Selection of Funding Opportunities
National Funding in Germany
Further Funding Options
- Stiftung Mercator
- Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection (BMU)
- Federal Agency for Nature Conservation (BfN)
- Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWI)
- Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)
- Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL)
Journals for Sustainability-Oriented Research
Below you will find a selection from a wide range of scientific journals that publish sustainability-oriented research findings. More detailed information on the respective subject areas, open access options, etc. can be found in the Guide Sustainability in University Research on page 47.
- Ecological Economics
- Energy Policy
- Forest Ecology and Management
- GAIA: Ecological Perspectives for Science and Society
- Science of the Total Environment
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews
- Journal of Environmental Management
- Sustainability Science
- Journal of Cleaner Production
- Ambio – A Journal of the Human Environment
- Nature Sustainability
- International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education
- Current Opinions in Environmental Sustainability
- Journal of Industrial Ecology
- Green and Sustainable Chemistry
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America (PNAS): Sustainability Science
All journals that are accessible to members of RWTH can be found in the EZB Electronic Journal Library (University Library of RWTH).