Academic HonorsCopyright: © Peter Winandy
By awarding honors and distinctions RWTH Aachen University wishes to strengthen the university community.
- +49 241 80 93447
- Send Email
The Senate has declared we award the following honors:
- University Medal for members and associates of the University for special service to RWTH
- Kármán Prize for enrolled and past students of the university for outstanding services to RWTH combined with academic achievements
- Laureateship of an Honorary Citizen for external persons for special services to the university
- von Kaven ring: primarily for external persons for special services to the university; the ring honors the founding Rector of RWTH Aachen, August von Kaven. He cared for the construction and development of the polytechnic university, its transformation into a technical university, and initiated lectures and presentations for the general public.
- Laureateship of an Honorary Senator: primarily for external persons for special services to the university
- Academic degree and laureateship of an honorary doctor for those, in a discipline of the respective faculty or in a neighboring discipline, who have achieved outstanding research or inventive achievement. These extraordinary achievements can have been completed outside of a university or within a research institution. This distinction is likewise aimed at self-educated persons with outstanding achievements.
Furthermore, the Rector’s Office awards the distinction “Representative of RWTH Aachen University” as well as “Senior Professor”, “JARA Senior Professor”, RWTH Lecturer, RWTH Fellow, "Honorary Fellow", and "Adjunct Professor".