Partner Universities and International Networks
International relationships are of great significance to RWTH Aachen. Cooperation and competition with top international universities set benchmarks for the university's own development, enable effective networks in research and teaching, and ensure the international visibility of RWTH Aachen as an education, research, and service institution.
RWTH currently has partnerships with 516 universities worldwide, and university wide agreements with 93 of them. An overview of partner universities, which offer study abroad placements, can be found here.
Additionally, RWTH has maintained a successful strategic partnership with the renowned Tsinghua University in Beijing since 2013 and is continuing to expand this partnership.
RWTH's longterm collaboration with the Indian Institute of Technology Madras has been promoted since 2016 within the framework of a strategic partnership as well.
Since the beginning of 2017, RWTH Aachen has also set up a further strategic partnership with the Canadian University of Alberta.
Tokyo Institute of Technology, with whom we have had a strong partnership (student exchange and research collaboration) since 2007, has opened a Europe office at RWTH Aachen in March of 2019 – the Tokyo Tech ANNEX Aachen.
Additionally, RWTH Aachen is a member of a series of organizations and networks. Specific examples include:
- CESAER – Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research
- ENHANCE – European Universities of Technology Alliance
- EUA – European University Association
- IAU – International Association of Universities
- IDEA League – Network consisting of leading universities of technology: Chalmers University, Delft University of Technology, ETH Zurich, Politecnico di Milano, and RWTH Aachen University
- T.I.M.E. – Double Degree Network
- UNITECH International – Association of European technical universities with enterprises for the promotion of management skills and international orientation of engineering students
- Université Franco-Allemande DFH – DFH is an association of member universities in France and Germany. It was established in 1997 on the basis of the intergovernmental Weimar agreement. It supports the dual master's agreement between RWTH and the French Écoles Centrales by providing scholarships for participating students.
- Umbrella Cooperation – This is a partnership between three excellent research institutions: the Israel Institute of Technologie, or Technion for short, RWTH Aachen, and Forschungszentrum Jülich