- Prof. Alexander Mitsos, Ph.D.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Spreading Excellence and Widening Participation
- Project duration:
- 01.01.2016 to 31.12.2018
- EU contribution:
- 1.060.797,50 euros
Networking for Excellence in Solar Thermal Energy Research
The NESTER proposal aims in upgrading the scientific and innovation performance of the Cyprus Institute (CyI) in the field of Solar-Thermal Energy (STE). The upgrade will be achieved by embedding the Institute’s activities in a network of excellence, which will provide access to the latest know-how and facilities, train CyI’s scientific and technical personnel and link it with the European Industry. The substantial investments made/planned by CyI in infrastructure and personnel will thus become more efficient and competitive allowing claim to international excellence.
The geopolitical placement of Cyprus offers excellent opportunities for cultivating a research and innovation niche in Solar Technologies. At the same time the remoteness of the corresponding centres of Excellence of EU is a major impediment. The NESTER proposal strives to enhance the advantages and ameliorate the disadvantages of this geographical placement.
The NESTER network comprises of three leading institutions in the field of solar energy research (CIEMAT, ENEA, PROMES/CNRS and RWTH – Aachen). They possess a formidable know how in this field and operate some of the most important facilities, worldwide.
- The Cyprus Institute Limited, Cyprus (Coordinator)
- Centro de Investigaciones Energéticas, Medioambientales y Tecnológicas (CIEMAT), Spain
- Agenzia Nazionale per le Nuove Tecnologie, l’Energia e lo Sviluppo economico sostenibile, Italy
- Centre national de la recherche scientifique, France