Erasmus+ Internship Funding



Saskia Semaan

Internationale Praktika, Erasmus+ Praktikum


+49 241 80 90862



Target Group: Outgoings

  • Bachelor students
  • Master students
  • Graduates
  • Doctoral students

Erasmus+ internships offer students in all subjects the possibility to apply the theoretical knowledge they have gained during their studies in an internship within Europe, and thus also learn about the culture, language, and workings of the host country.

To be eligible for funding, the internship must last at least 60 days and be a mandatory or optional component of the course of study.

Final projects and papers prepared or completed at universities or companies in Europe can also be funded through Erasmus+.

The monthly scholarship stipend ranges between 640 and 750 Euros depending on the cost of living in the target country. See below for more information.


Who can Participate in the Program?

German and international students in any course of study can apply as long as they are enrolled in a degree program at RWTH Aachen and have an internship place in a country that is not their permanent residence.

Graduates can also get their internship, to be completed within twelve months of completing studies, funded through Erasmus+ as long as they apply for funding during their last academic year. Furthermore, PhD students of RWTH Aachen University can apply for an Erasmus+ internship.

Participants can be funded by Erasmus for a total of twelve months per academic cycle, whereby Erasmus study abroad stays and Erasmus internships abroad are calculated together. In courses of study with only academic step, such as Staatsexamen, Erasmus+ funding is possible for a total of 24 months.


Equal Opportunities and Social Inclusion

Erasmus+ promotes equal opportunities and inclusion and makes special funding available for the following student groups:

  • Students with disabilities or chronic illnesses (degree of disability must be 20 or more)
  • Students with a chronic medical condition that has been shown to cause additional costs abroad
  • Students who take their child abroad with them for the duration of their stay
  • Employed students
  • First-time graduates

Detailed information can be found on the “Equal Opportunities: Everyone Can Study Abroad” page in the “Erasmus+ Special Funding” section.

Learn more on the DAAD website here. You can also contact us. We will be happy to provide you with more information on the possibilities of special funding under Erasmus+.


Sustainable Travel

The Erasmus+ program promotes low-emission travel. Participants have the opportunity to apply for an additional lump sum of 50 euros and up to four additional travel days for sustainable travel ("green travel"). An additional travel day is subsidized in the amount of 1/30 of the monthly stipend. In order to receive this funding, you must submit a handwritten and signed declaration of honor before the start of the mobility period. You will receive more information after successful application.


Target Countries by Country Group

At present, we are continuing to fund stays at the funding rates indicated here and only the special funding rates that are indicated in the Equal Opportunities and Social Inclusion section below for eligible individuals.

Country Group 1

750 euros in funding per month: Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden

Country Group 2

690 euros in funding per month: Austria, Belgium, France, Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain

Country Group 3

640 euros in funding per month: Bulgaria, Estonia, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Turkey, Hungary


Which internships are funded?

Erasmus+ funds qualified industry internships from two months (60 days) to twelve months. Eligible host companies include businesses in the public and private sector, regardless of size, legal form, or industrial sector, including social economy. Research internships at universities, including as part of a final project or thesis, can also be funded through the current Erasmus+ partial program. The new education program Erasmus+, part of Erasmus Mobility for Universities, is also open to teacher training students, who are completing internships at European universities, making it possible for them to apply for assistance from Erasmus+ internship funding. Internships at EU institutions and institutions that administrate EU programs – here is a complete list – cannot be funded by Erasmus+.


Application Requirements and Submission

  • Sufficient language skills in the working language must be documented - at least Level B1 of the European Framework of Reference
  • If you would like to take a language course at the RWTH Language Center to prepare for your internship, you may receive preferential treatment in being placed in a course if you have already officially applied for Erasmus+ internship funding. For language courses in the winter semester, you must have the International Coordinators register you with the Language Center by September 30. For language courses in the summer semester, you must be registered by March 31. You can find more information on the Language Center’s website here.
  • You cannot be simultaneously funded by other EU programs. You must sign a contract stating that you are not receiving double funding

How can you apply?

Please apply online and upload the requested documents – as listed below – as PDF files. Please have the enterprise that you'll be visiting – the receiving organisation – and your faculty – the sending institution – fill out or sign the Learning Agreement for Traineeships. Here you can find an overview of the appointed contact persons within different faculties.

Please upload your fully completed application at the very latest six weeks before beginning an internship. If you apply for a spot in the United Kingdom, please submit the fully completed application four months before the intended start of the mobility period. Late applications will not be considered. Late applications will only be considered in exceptional cases where the student is not at fault. Funding cannot be granted in retrospect, for example after the start of the internship. If you want advice in advance regarding the application process or potential internships, please contact Ms. Saskia Semaan at the International Office to make an appointment.

Students, who complete a graduate internship within a year after their completing their degree and would like to be funded through Erasmus+, must apply during their last academic year, following the procedure described above. It is important that the application documents are submitted no later than six weeks before the internship begins.


Graduates, who register as unemployed and are looking for a job after they graduate, must arrange their internship with the Federal Employment Agency.


Required Documents and Learning Agreement for Traineeships to Download

You are personally responsible for sufficient insurance coverage, that is health, accident, and liability insurance, during your stay abroad. Check early on to make sure whether or not your insurance is valid abroad and for what.

DAAD offers Erasmus+ funded students affordable group insurance tailored towards internships abroad. Here you can find more information about the DAAD group insurance Tarif 720. Tarif 726 applies to graduates.


After Applying

If you are granted funding, you must sign a grant agreement, which regulates all of the funding conditions, such as the funding amount and payment method. Furthermore, each scholarship recipient recieves a student charter before their stay abroad. This charter contains all of your rights and obligations as an Erasmus+ student.

To receive Erasmus funding, you must also take an online language test with the appropriate course and a test after your stay. The access link is sent to you via email after you have been accepted. The test takes about 40 minutes. This test is not one of the selection criteria. It simply assesses the language skills gained during an Erasmus stay.


During the Internship

If your internship is going to be extended, you can request an extension to the Erasmus funding. You must submit a completed a signed Learning Agreement – During the mobility no later than one month before the regular requested funding period. The extended stay must immediately follow your current stay and not go beyond the overall permissible funding duration of twelve months per study phase.


After the Internship


You must Fulfill these Obligations:

EU Survey

After your stay, you will receive an email from the EU asking you to complete the EU Survey. Please click on the provided link and complete the online survey.

Traineeship Certificate

The Traineeship Certificate is to be completed by the host company at the last day of your internship. It serves to confirm your internship period. 

If you have travelled sustainably and want to apply for green travel support, you will have the opportunity to specify the days of travel and the means of transport. 

Field Report

Please complete the experience report form that you received together with the grant agreement. The field report is written in English and published anonymously on our blog.

Recognition of a Mandatory Internship Completed Abroad

Please note that you will have to make sure that your internship abroad will be officially recognized in order to get credit points. If you have any questions in this regard, please get in touch with your departmental coordinator.

Recording of Voluntary Internships on Your Final Transcript

Voluntary internships abroad can also be included on your final transcript. For Erasmus+ internships, it is mandatory that they be listed on the Diploma Supplement. This link provides information on the process of how receiving credit for voluntary internships abroad (de). Voluntary internships can also be recognized using the Europass Mobility, which you can apply for at RWTH. It also offers the opportunity to have graduate internships recognized. If you have any questions, please get in touch with Saskia Semaan.


Please note that if you do not meet the obligations and to not submit the required documents in time, you will have to pay back your Erasmus+ stipend.


Erasmus+ and BAföG

Mandatory internships abroad lasting at least twelve weeks can also be funded by BAföG. BAföG for within Germany cannot be used for stays abroad. You must apply for special BAföG for abroad. This may mean that even individuals not eligible for BAföG within Germany could recieve BAföG for abroad. You must apply for BAföG for abroad at least six months before you begin your stay abroad.

Grants such as Erasmus+ remain exempt up to 300 euros per month with the new BAföG regulations as of 2011. This means that only the amount above 300 euros is included when calculating the BAföG grant. The responsible BAföG office can provide information about whether or not the BAföG grant will be reduced and by how much. Internship grants are exempt up to 450 euros. You can find more information about the requirements, funding rates, and applying for a grant on the websites of the Federal Ministry of Education and the Deutsches Studentenwerk.


Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible to apply for an Erasmus+ scholarship if I don't have an internship yet?

No. You can only apply for funding once you have received confirmation of the internship abroad and the timing and content have been more or less determined, as this information and a signature from the host institution are needed for the Learning Agreement in the application.

Are only mandatory internships funded or can voluntary internships also be funded?

The Erasmus+ program funds both mandatory and voluntary internships. However voluntary internships must be recognized by Erasmus+. For recognition, you need a certificate from the host institution and documentation of the internship stay in the diploma supplement of your home institution. This means that even voluntary internships must be recognized either by earning ECTS or by the internship being entered in the final transcript. You must submit your traineeship certificate or its equivalent to your faculty, department, or examination board. Using this the "Bescheinigung Auslandspraktika" or intership abroad certificate is issued. You then submit this to the Central Examination Office, no later than when you submit your thesis. Your internship will then appear as an additional performance on your final transcript.

How can I find an internship abroad?

Contacts at institutes and chairs, departmental advisors, study abroad coordinators, internship offices: German Academic Exchange Service

Experience reports at

International Placement Services ZAV:

Other Links:

Goethe Institut
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit

Subject-Specific Internship Placements:

International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience, IAESTE
Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques et Commerciales, AIESEC
Bundesvertretung der Medizinstudierenden in Deutschland e.V.
Zahnmedizinischer Austauschdienst
Institutions such as the British Council and Institut Francais, domestic companies or organizations with international connections, and internship databases online, such as Job Openings for RWTH Students

I can't open the Learning Agreement for Traineeships on the website. What do I do?

First, try and save the document and then open it. If you are still unable to open it, we can send you the document via email.

What do I write under "Monitoring plan" in the Learning Agreement?

The mentoring plan describes how you will be mentored during the internship in order to ensure it is successful. Here you can include the name of your contact abroad and at RWTH, whether you will regularly check in with them, and any other mentorship information.

What do I write under "Evaluation plan" in the Learning Agreement?

In the evaluation plan, you can write, for example, how the internship abroad will be evaluated at the end. You should include whether an internship certificate will be issued, an internship report will be written, and/or results from the stay that will be evaluated for a thesis.

If I am completing a voluntary traineeship, what box needs to be checked by the sending institution, usually the faculty's study abroad coordinator, on pages 3/4 of the Learning Agreement for Traineeships?

Since a certain type of recognition is mandatory for a traineeship funded by Erasmus, it is important that this is previously arranged in the LA.

For mandatory traineeships ("1. The traineeship is embedded in the curriculum...") ECTS are usually awarded or "Yes" is marked for one of the other types of recognition possibilities listed.

For voluntary traineeships ("2. The traineeship is voluntary...") the second section is used. It is important that some type of recognition has been assured in advance. As voluntary stays are usually not awarded a grade or CP, the option "Record the traineeship in the trainee's Diploma Supplement" is typically selected.

If you would like to have your voluntary traineeship recognized, you can learn how under "Are only mandatory internships funded or can voluntary internships also be funded?."

Who signs the Learning Agreement for Traineeships under "sending institution"?

The Learning Agreement is signed by the faculty and confirms the traineeship's relevance to your study. It is typicaly signed by the respective study abroad coordinator at your faculty/department or an authority appointed by your institution, such as the examination board. The signatory is responsible any necessary adjustments and recognition of the credit points (or similar) and any related learning results on behalf of the responsible academic body as indicated in the learning agreement. The individuals that are to be listed in the Learning Agreement are detailed in the annex.

Can the signatures on the Learning Agreement for Traineeships (LA) be scanned?

Yes. You do not need to submit the original Learning Agreement for Traineeships, meaning that entries and signatures from abroad particularly can be acquired via email.

Does the signed original of the Grant Agreement have to be submitted or can I submit a scan or copy?

The original Grant Agreement must be signed and submitted.

Do I have to submit proof of skills in the native language or working language?

You must submit proof of language skills in the agreed upon working language and at the level agreed upon in the Learning Agreement for Traineeships. However your language skills must be at least at the B1 level. The working language does not have to be the native language.

What language do I have to write my statement of motivation in?

The statement of motivation can be written in either German or English.

I have registered in the application portal in the past. Now when I log in, I am unable to enter a new application and only see my old application. What do I have to do in order to be able to apply?

Please register with a different email address. You should still enter your RWTH email address in the application form.

What insurance do I need for an internship abroad?

You need accident and private liability insurance as well as health insurance for abroad. You are not insured by RWTH during your internship abroad. It is possible that your host institution will insure you. However, this should be indicated in the Learning Agreement for Traineeships. The DAAD offers a combined insurance package for all three insurances: Tarif Praktikanten (Tarif 720).

Does citizenship play a role in eligibility for Erasmus funding?

All traditionally enrolled students at RWTH can participate in Erasmus+ regardless of their citizenship. Non EU-citizens should make sure procure a work and/or residency permit as soon as possible.

What do I need to pay attention to regarding a work permit?

Some countries require students with certain citizenship to acquire a work permit for internships. There are exceptions for ERASMUS+ traineeships in most countries though. Students should contact the respective embassy or consulate. It is also possible to attain the status "Erasmus+ Trainee", even if financial funding through the program is not possible. To do so, students should apply for the status "Label" or "Zero Grant" Erasmus+ trainee.

What internships are excluded from receiving funding?

All internships at any European institution and institutions that administer EU programs are excluded. Internships from returnees can only be funded if the primary residence is not in the same country as the internship.

Can I extend or shorten my internship?

Yes, however your internship cannot be less than 60 days or more than 12 months and extend beyond the entire Erasmus+ funding duration in the respective study cycle. To extend your Erasmus funding, you must email the completed and signed "Learning Agreement for Traineeships during the mobility" one month before the originally planned end of the stay.

What do I need to consider when planning a stay in the United Kingdom?

For stays in the United Kingdom, you will need a visa. To get one, your host institution must first apply for the so-called Certificate of Sponsorship (=CoS) for you. They also need to have a specific license to do so. Once you have this certificate, you can apply for a visa.

Please note that this process takes several weeks. Please contact your host institution as soon as possible and ask if they have a license so they can apply for the CoS for you.

You can find more information about this type of visa here.