Supplementary Oral Exam
Information about the Supplementary Oral Exam for RWTH Aachen Bachelor and Master Students
The comprehensive exam regulations ensure that all RWTH Bachelor and Master students have the right to a supplementary oral exam if they have not passed the second retake of a written exam and no misconduct has occurred.
This is a supplemental exam, not an independent repeated exam. By participating in this exam, students still have an opportunity to complete the second retake of a written exam that was not passed with a grade of 4.0. A better grade cannot be obtained through the oral supplemental exam. A requirement for the oral supplemental exam is that the allowed time frame after the failed exam must not have passed. The supplemental exam must take place within four weeks after the examination script review.
Registration for the Supplementary Oral Exam
The following applies to students who wish to take advantage of the opportunity to take a supplementary oral exam:
- Students must initiate and apply for the supplementary oral exam.
- You must apply for a supplementary oral exam immediately after the results of the second repeat exam date have been published and no later than the exam review date. You can authorize another person to go to the review on your behalf if you cannot attend.
- As soon as the date for the supplemental oral exam has been set, the date can be entered in the individual student's record via RWTHonline.
- As long as you successfully complete your supplemental exam, the previous grade of 5.0 for the repeated exam you did not pass will be replaced with a 4.0.
- If you are sick at the time of your supplementary oral exam, you must immediately inform the ZPA of your inability to take the exam and provide them with a medical certificate. The ZPA will forward the note to the respective Board of Examiners, who will issue you a new date.
If the Board of Examiners accepts a withdrawal from an exam for good reasons, a new exam date must be set within further two weeks. If the supplementary exam is not completed within six weeks of the exam review, you will lose your right to a supplementary oral exam.