PROMOS Study or Internship Abroad Scholarships
- Target Group:
- Direction / Place:
For stays at partner universities via RWTH Worldwide (see link below):
August 15, 2019; December 15, 2019; and August 15, 2020
PROMOS, a scholarship program offered by the German Academic Exchange Service, DAAD for short, is financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. It has been promoting the mobility of students abroad with scholarships for short term study since 2010.
Applications can only be accepted for destinations outside of Europe. Here you can find a detailed list of countries and types of grants.
Stays in countries or regions for which the Federal Foreign Office has issued a travel warning cannot, however, be funded. Please refer to the Federal Foreign Office website for information about which countries or regions are affected.
Who can apply?
RWTH Aachen students from any faculty and degree program at all stages of study who
- are planning a semester abroad
- wish to finish a thesis or project
- or wish to complete an internship
in one of the countries listed above, can be funded with partial scholarships for their stay from January to the end of December from DAAD funds. Doctoral candidates, with the exception of medical students, are not eligible to apply for a PROMOS scholarship; however, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers various funding opportunities for doctoral candidates.
Internships which fit the profile of specific DAAD programs cannot be funded through the PROMOS program. These include internships at international organizations such as the United Nations, EU institutions, bodies which administrate EU programs, German representations abroad, the German Humanities Institutes Abroad, the Goethe Institutes, the German Archaeological Institute, and the German Schools Abroad.
Further Application Requirements
- You have not received any funding from the PROMOS or Voss program so far.
- You have already received confirmation of your stay abroad.
- You are not receiving any other scholarships for the stay from German public funds, RWTH, the host university, or the host country. You can find more information under the heading "Scholarship Details."
When can one apply?
The process is different for those who apply for a placement at an International Office partner institution as part of RWTHworldwide (deadlines August 15 or December 15) and those whose who will stay abroad at a partner institution of their Faculty or who have organized their stay on their own as ‘free movers.’
If you are applying for a partner place with a deadline of August 15 or December 15 and are interested in a PROMOS or Voss scholarship, please tick the appropriate box on the application form. The selection of scholarship holders then takes place at the same time as the selection of those who are to be nominated for a place at partner universities. Further information can be found on the page about studying abroad on our RWTHworldwide page.
In all other cases, you can apply for a PROMOS or Voss scholarship by September 1 and May 1. The application portal opens one month before the respective deadline. All deadlines apply only to stays that begin in 2019/20 and have not yet been completed by the application deadline. Retroactive funding of already completed stays is therefore not possible.
- The scholarships are awarded for periods of study or research abroad lasting between one and six months; internships must last longer than six weeks. The RWTH Aachen project coordinator will first determine the number of months funded after the selection period. This can range from one to six months and depends on the availability of funds.
- A partial scholarship of at least 300 Euros per month and/or a country specific travel stipend will be awarded. Scholarships will be disbursed monthly. Travel cost stipends and partial scholarships can be awarded separately.
- The PROMOS program is not responsible for any organizational support in planning your stay. It is solely a funding program. You can of course use one of the International Office's structured mobility programs and participate in the group advising sessions offered.
- Internships, for which internship-specific funding offered by the DAAD is already being accepted, can not be funded through PROMOS. Further information on programs can be found here.
- You may simultaneously apply for multiple scholarship programs. However you cannot accept multiple forms of financial support, for a scholarship for your stay that are funded by German public means, RWTH funds, the host university, or the host country. Double funding for a stay abroad from different RWTH Aachen scholarship programs, such as MOGAM, MIRAI, or UROP, is not allowed.
- You may use scholarships that finance studies at RWTH Aachen and are not directly related to your planned stay, such as a Deutschland scholarship or NRW scholarship, along with the PROMOS scholarship.
- If you receive a scholarship from any other public scholarship institution in addition to PROMOS, these institutions are to be notified of your PROMOS grant.
- If you receive the PROMOS scholarship and Bafög for abroad, you are required to notify the BAföG office of the amount of your PROMOS scholarship.
Students With Disabilities
- PROMOS-funded students with a degree of medical disability of at least 50 percent may be able to receive a special scholarship if they can prove that they will incur greater expenses due to being abroad while not receiving any support from other responsible institutions. In this case, please submit the following paperwork in addition to your application – or, at the latest, after receiving confirmation of receiving funding
- Copy of the Disability ID
- Table of anticipated expenses
- Proof that no other responsible institution is offering financial support
- Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
If you are applying for a RWTHworldwide partner position by August 15 or December 15, please use the corresponding application portal to apply for a PROMOS or Voss scholarship at the same time. Information on the application process can be found on the page on studying abroad at RWTHworldwide.
In all other cases – such as self-organized stays abroad or exchange placement through a faculty or institute partnership – please apply via this online application portal and upload the following documents:
- Letter of Confirmation or Internship Contract from the host institution. Alternatively: Nomination from RWTH
- Tabular resume
- Evidence of proficiency in the language of your host country, for example through a language certificate such as TOEFL, and certificate from the Language Center or your Abitur certificate
- Academic transcript, of the last completed semester
- Academic progress certificate
- For Master's students: Transcript of Records of your Bachelor's degree
- Other voluntary documentation, for example awards, volunteer involvement, etc.
In the online application, information about your motivation is requested.
The application documents must be put in one PDF document that can be no larger than 5 megabytes. Applications must be received by the respective deadline. Incomplete applications and applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Scholarship winners for a PROMOS scholarship are selected by a university commission in the International Office about six weeks after each application deadline.
- Quality of application
- Academic achievements
- Quality of project abroad, that is the process and motivation from a technical-qualitative perspective
- Sufficient language skills
- Other qualifications
If you are selected, you must submit the following documents:
- Letter of Acceptance, after receiving the selection letter
- Confirmation from your host institution, "certificate" of your actual stay, as soon as possible after you return
- Two experience reports, immediately upon your return; DAAD experience report and a self-written report
After submitting the documents listed above, you can request a PROMOS scholarship certificate. For more information please contact Birgit Thun-Vié.
DAAD Group Insurance
The German Academic Exchange Service, DAAD, offers a group insurance package for students and doctoral candidates which includes health, accident, and personal liability insurance. For further information, please visit the web pages of the DAAD.
PROMOS Scholarships in Australia and New Zealand
The Institut Ranke-Heinemann awards grants for study stays in Australia and New Zealand in conjunction with PROMOS. This means that PROMOS scholarship holders receive a discount of 10 percent off their tuition fees, regardless of the university, the course of study, or the amount of PROMOS funding. You can find further information on the IRH website.