International Cooperation Online
First Round of the ICON Competition – International Cooperation Online
Object of funding
Internationally oriented, online-based teaching formats – established or experimental
- 150,000 euros from "Hochschulpakt" funding to be spent by May 31, 2023
- Newly developed virtual teaching formats (maximum amount up to 15,000 euros)
- Projects already funded by the Digital Teaching in the Curriculum Program or by ETS, provided that an additional MOOC is to be created that was not previously part of the application (add "additional funding" to application title; maximum amount up to 15,000 euros).
- Existing formats that already meet the criteria can apply for an award of 5,000 euros (provide application title with keyword "special funding").
- At least 60 percent of the funds are to be used for personnel costs (research and non-research personnel, teaching assignments, assistants).
June 1, 2021, to May 31, 2023
Eligible to apply
- Chairs of faculties 1 to 8,
- Faculties 1 to 8
- Departments and
- central institutions of RWTH
- Funded in the Digital Teaching in the Curriculum Program with the involvement of the digitization officers of the faculties as well as representatives of the CLS and the ITC
- Confirmation of the selected projects by the Rectorate
- Compatible with the goals of RWTH's Digitalization Strategy
- Compatible with the goals of RWTH's Internationalization Strategy (detailed and up-to-date information on this can also be found in the Internationalization Report).
- Internationalization can be achieved through cooperation with international partners (expansion of course offerings, capacity building, innovative hybrid formats, for example in lab practicals, qualification papers, examination formats, workshops, etc.) or through offerings that explicitly address international students, especially those who cannot come to campus in person.
- Promotion of public study programs and offerings only
- Promotion of virtual, independent, and cooperative learning for students
- Sustainability should be ensured through the continuity or expansion of an existing format or through potential transferability or replicability of an innovative format (for example, implementation of new techniques and technologies or teaching experiments)
- Transformation of instructional content into OER will also be considered
- The thematic or formal consideration of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is welcome
- Projects that have already been funded through Digital Teaching in the Curriculum, ETS, BL, and ETS 2018 to 2023, Digifellowships, or similar formats may be considered, provided that a MOOC has not been part of the funding so far, but is a core component of the ICON application (be sure to submit the project application with the note "additional funding")
- Candidates must consult the CLS before submitting the application
- We also recommend you consult the Faculty (regarding the potential for continuity) as well as with the International Office (René Seyfarth regarding internationalization)
- We recommend submitting the application(s) via the respective Dean's Office
Length of application
- The maximum length is five pages, including all tables and figures (font size: Arial 11, line spacing: 1.5, margins 2.5 centimeters)
- Applications for "special funding" (already existing formats): a maximum of three pages
Please note: Applications that do not meet the formal criteria specified in the call for proposals will be excluded from the evaluation process.
- Description of the target group (course of study, participating faculties, the targeted number of participants)
- Description of the teaching and learning objectives for the virtual courses, the content as well as the methods and procedures used
- Participating instructors
- Name and language of instruction of the format
- Anticipated results
- For international collaborative projects, add the following:
- How the partner will be involved as well as a brief description of the cooperation history or intentions
- Special expertise or complementary features of the international partner
- Signed letter of intent with signature (a scan is sufficient) of a representative of the international partner institution
- In the case of capacity building, also: the starting point and expected effects at the partner's institution
- In case of additional funding for MOOCS: short outline of the existing project and which additional services are to be covered by the additional funding
- Concepts regarding the sustainable implementation of the developed virtual learning offers
- Information on co-funding (if provided)
- Financing and work plan, reference to central offers (e.g. CLS, ITC, UB) that will be used
- Submission deadline of March 31, 2021, submit written proposals as one electronic document via email to Dr. Colette Knight.
- Selection committee decision by end April 2021
Release of funds beginning early June 2021