Excellent Teaching & Learning: Strategic ConceptsCopyright: Andreas Hub
Excellent Teaching Competition
In October 2009, RWTH Aachen was recognized in the Excellent Teaching competition for its institutional strategy "Students in Focus". It is one of six universities, whose concepts for improving basic teaching in German university development were funded with prize money of one million euros by the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft and the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in Federal Republic of Germany (KMK). The prize money should be used for the optimization of information that prepares students for studies, for better support in the beginning of one's studies, and for the development of innovative projects in teaching.
Students at the Focus of Excellence
The institutional strategy "Excellent Teaching" aims at improving basic teaching. It distinguishes itself through its strategically broad measures, where students' needs stand at the focus.
Since recognition in 2009, different working groups in the four core areas have propelled and recorded further successes.
Through the innovative teaching and learning concepts, student focused support services and optimized quality management and further education systems should ensure that at least 75 percent of students in a beginning cohort, to whom university studies were recommended, successfully complete their studies. This goal should be achieved in ten years at the latest, without RWTH Aachen lowering its exisiting quality standard.
|Film: Mehr Ehre für die Lehre||
prelude to the competition
|Film: Ein Jahr nach dem Wettbewerb exzellente Lehre||Stifterverband|
with Heinz-ElmarTenorth from HU Berlin
Expert conversations from the Stifterverband
Series theme: How does in excellence in teaching develop?
with Hans Weiler from Stanford University
with Thomas Grünewald from Uni Potsdam
with Britta Jorzik from the Stifterverband
- Concept: "Students in Focus": Excellent Teaching and Learning (de) (pdf: 1442 kb)
- Internal University Workshop on February 18, 2009: Development of the Draft Proposal (de) (pdf: 297 kb)
- Internal University Workshop on June 17, 2009: Development of the Excellent Teaching Future Concept (de) (pdf: 342 kb)
- Final of Excellent Teaching Competition in Berlin on October 5, 2009 (de) (pdf: 1571 kb)
Vice-Rector for Teaching Report (de)
(pdf: 605 kb)
RWTHtransparent annual event on January 29, 2010
- Report on the Implementation of the Excellent Teaching Future Concept to Directors on March 5, 2010 (de) (pdf: 322 kb)
- Interview with the Vice-Rector of Teaching on the Excellent Teaching Future Concept with RWTH Aachen University Radio (de) (mp3: 3829 kb)
Mehr Ehre für die Lehre (de)
Zeit online, February 24, 2010
Aufbruchstimmung in der Wissensregion (de)
Welt online, October 23, 2009
Wo die Lehre exzellent ist (de)
Welt online, October 20, 2009
Prämierte Hochschulen - Ehre für die Lehre (de)
Süddeutsche online, October 19, 2009
RWTH für "exzellente Lehre" ausgezeichnet (de)
Aachener Zeitung online, October 19, 2009
RWTH-Zukunftskonzept mit einer Million Euro belohnt (de)
Aachener Nachrichten online, October 19, 2009
Drei NRW-Hochschulen exzellent (de)
Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger online, October 19, 2009