April 2013, Issue 124
Attention: Register now for the Lousberglauf 2013!
The Lousberglauf will be held again on Wednesday, July 3, 2013. We are offering all of our graduates who are enthusiastic runners the opportunity to participate with the usual service. Interested alumni can register until May 27, 2013, via email.
Two important things to note:
- Later registrations can unfortunately not be accepted due to organizational reasons!
- By registering, every participant confirms that he or she is healthy enough to compete. The University Sports Center will not be conducting any medical exams. We recommend that all participants actively train and prepare!
RWTH Sports Day: Alumni Team at the Institute Olympics?
As part of the RWTH FH SPORTS DAY 2013, the internal Aachen Institute Olympics are being held for the seventh time. The Olympics are a team competition with endurance and dexterity games. Professors, employees, research and student assistants, students, and even alumni from the institutes and institutions of the Aachen universities are welcome to create a team of four to eight people. Alumni, who would like to participate, can register through the Alumni Team.
ITA Discovery Awarded Again
Prof. Dr. Thomas Gries and Dr. Michael Glowania from the RWTH Aachen Institute of Textile Technology won the JEC Innovation Award. They received the award for the discovery that pitch-based carbon fibers, which are arranged in a honeycomb structure, have a thermal conductivity of more than 27W/mk and thus conduct heat as well as alloyed steel. In January 2013, this discovery already won them the first prize in the 2012 “NRW Inventing the Future” Competition, given by the NRW Minister of Science Svenja Schulze.
Read more in the RWTH Aachen press release.
Science & Business
Top Reputation in Business
RWTH Aachen has an excellent reputation in the business field. The university ranking in the magazine “WirtschaftsWoche” proved this again. The magazine placed the Aachen university in first place for engineering and the natural sciences in its April 8, 2013 issue. RWTH Aachen is ranked the leading university nationally in five out of the nine subject area taken into consideration, outdistancing all universities in Germany.
Read more in the RWTH Aachen press release.
National Instruments Funds Institute of Networked Systems
National Instruments, NI for short, the renowned manufacturer of hardware and software tools for engineers and scientists, is funding research and education at RWTH Aachen. The company is supporting the Institute of Networked Systems or iNETS through funds for equipment and grants. Phil Hester, Senior Vice-President R&D at NI made the announcement during a discussion held in honor of the ten-year anniversary of the Aachen institute.
You can find more information on this topic in the RWTH Aachen press release.
What Happened to the Soul?
The term soul has disappeared from modern psychology. How did things get to the point that measuring has replaced understanding, and the soul has turned into behavior and experience? As chair of the Bishop Hemmerle professorship, Prof. Dr. phil. habil. Dipl. Psych. Helmut Reuter will consider these questions in his presentation series. The endowed professorship was created in 1996, in order to enable selected individuals to teach at RWTH Aachen. The lecture is open to all those interested. It will take place on Thursdays, starting April 11, from 5:45 to 7:15pm in the Reiff-Museum, Schinkelstraße 1, Hörsaal R 5.
More on this topic is available in the RWTH Aachen press release.
NRW Returners Program
A current call made by the North Rhine-Westphalia Ministry of Innovation, Science, and Research has opened up the possibility for excellent researchers to create their own researchers group at a university in North-Rhine Westphalia. Each returner can receive up to 1.25 million euros over the course of five years. In order to apply, individuals must have completed at least a two-year research stay abroad and have an outstanding scientific profile. Researchers are sought whose ideas can contribute something to mastering the great social challenges in the areas climate, energy, health, and nutrition. Application Deadline: May 31, 2013.
You can find more information on this topic in the Returners Program page.
ERP Days 2013
The ERP Days 2013 are taking place from June 11 to 13, 2013. Events will be held at the Tivoli football stadium. The Institute of Rationalization, which is hosting the event, is again offering RWTH Alumni a 25 percent discount on the participation cost.
Only the joint optimization of business processes and IT systems enables the efficient implementatino of all company resources. With this in mind, the Aachen ERP days offer visitors a comprehensive overview of the company software currently available in the market. Topics relevant to real life practice in logistics and IT integration will also be intensively discussed.
More information is available on the ERP Days website.
Application Deadline for 11th Career Day "Family Businesses"
Alumni have till May 13 to register for the 11th Career Day "Family Business" on June 28, 2013, at the Oetker-Gruppe in Bielefeld. Participants will have the opportunity to speak to Germany's leading family businesses about concrete career opportunities. As a preferred partner, RWTH Aachen alumni receive a wild card. Please note this in the application. Spots are limited.
- May 3 to 5 2013: Annual RWTH Alumni Get-Together in North America
- May 3, 2013, 6:30pm: Talk "The Myth of Charlemagne" – How Posterity Views Charlemagne"; Prof. Dr. Max Kerner; Rassitzungssall, City Hall
- May 6, 2013, 6pm: „Der Beitrag des Getriebes zur Erriechung der zukünftigen CO Grenzwerte"; Dipl.-Ing. Gerhard Henning, Leiter Kompetenzcenter Getriebe Daimler AG, Stuttgart; Kármán-Auditorium Fo5, Eilfschornsteinstraße 15
- May 7, 2013: bonding IndustryNight 2013: Exclusive job fair with 30 renowned companies
- May 8, 2013, 3pm: Charlemagne Award Recipient 2013 at RWTH Aachen. On the eve of the International Charlemagne Prize of Aachen 2013 award ceremony, the Lithuanian president, Dalia Grybauskaite, will be visiting RWTH Aachen.
- May 16, 2013, 5pm: Tour "The New aixCAVE: World-Class Virtual Reality" ; Meeting point: Foyer of the Rechenzentrum-Erweiterungsbau, Kopernikusstraße 6-8; Registration by May 15, 2013 required: Tel. 0241 80 93681 or via email
- May 28, 2013, 6pm: Regenerative Energies Colloquium, "Hybrid Systems – Perspectives, Challenges, and Projects", Dr. Max Voß (RWE AG); Grünen Hörsaal, Audimax Lecture Hall Building, Wüllnerstraße
The Alumni Newsletter is released once a month. The International Office, Fundraising, and Alumni publish the newsletter on behalf of the Rector. The contact person in the editorial office is Dietrich Hunold. Responsibility is assumed by Dr. Heide Naderer.