Enrollment for Internationals


Please Note

As part of our digitalization activities, Division 2.1 – Admissions and Social Affairs currently offers online advising services in a test phase.

This affects our open office hours and the enrollment process for new international students. For this reason, there will be no face-to- face advising sessions and no in-person enrollment sessions until March 6, 2020 in our offices.

Please send us your questions and/or your enrollment documents by email to: int-zugang@rwth-aachen.de. You can also call us at +49 241 80 -90674 and extensions -90671, -90672, -90673, -90675, -90648, -90365. We are available weekdays between 8:30am and 12:30pm and between 1:30 and 4pm.

Thank you very much for your understanding!



+49 241 80 90674



Once you have received the notification of admission to doctoral studies from the doctoral committee, you must prepare some documents to enroll. Below is a list of the documents needed:

  • A valid passport. EU citizens can alternatively present their identity card.
  • Letter of admission to doctoral studies at a RWTH Aachen faculty issued by the doctoral committee
  • Original Bachelor’s and Master’s degree certificates or certificates for equivalent degrees
  • Translations of your degree certificates and academic record/transcript with grades, translated by a certified translator recognized by the Germany Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The translation agency can be located in Germany as well.
  • If demanded by your supervisor: Originals of your language certificates.
    a) If your dissertation is written in German: Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang, DSH, or: Test für Deutsch als Fremdsprache, TestDaF, or an equivalent language certificate.
    b) If your dissertation is written in English: International English Language Testing System, IELTS for short, with a grade of 6.0 or higher; or: Test of English as Foreign Language, with at least 80 IBT or 550 PBT points; or: Certificate in Advanced English, CAE.
  • Evidence of your health insurance from a public Germany health insurance provider. If you have taken out sufficient health insurance in your home country or a private insurance covering your stay in Germany, one of the public insurance providers must provide you with a written confirmation of exemption from taking out a German health insurance. Please note: without presenting this written confirmation, you cannot be enrolled at RWTH Aachen. Public insurance providers are, for example, are Techniker Krankenkasse, TK for short, oder die Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse, AOK.
  • If you were enrolled at a German university in the past: Proof of de-enrollment or exmatriculation from this university
  • If your letter of admission included a list of missing documents still to be submitted or presented, such as language certificates or academic records, please provide these documents
  • The original written confirmation by your doctoral supervisor that he or she is willing to supervise your doctoral thesis

Please note that all these documents must be submitted before you can be enrolled.

You can enroll during the following times in Division 2.1 - Admissions and Social Affairs, Templergraben 57, SuperC, 5th floor, Room 5.27-5.29 during the opening hours.

  • Enrollment for winter semester: August 1 to the last working day (Monday to Friday) before Christmas
  • Enrollment for summer semester: February 1 to June 30