Enrollment in Master Studies for Internationals



+49 241 80 90674



Welcome Week

Please arrange your travel to Aachen so that you arrive in good time for the Welcome Week. Participation in the Welcome Week is compulsory.


When do I need to enroll and what do I need?

In your admissions letter on RWTHonline, in Self Service, you can find the time and location of your enrollment session at the International Office. Once you accept your study place, you will also be able to see the requirements for the documents needed to enroll in Self Service.

Please note – you must also bring the originals of all the required documents that you are not able to upload as PDFs to enroll at the University – notarized copies without the originals will not be accepted.

You also need to provide documentation proving you have valid health insurance that is also officially recognized in Germany. Make sure you have this documentation before your enrolment session. Please note – you either need German statutory health insurance or a confirmation from a German public health insurance company that your private insurance is equivalent. We do not accept travel health insurance.

What do I do before I enroll?

Before enrolling, log on to RWTHonline to update your personal data, and to upload your health insurance certificate and any other necessary documents, like a pre-internship certificate, termination of enrollment certificate, self assessment, or language certificate.

What documents do I need to prepare to enroll?

If you have received admission, you will need to prepare a few documents to enroll. Please bring the following documents with you to your enrollment session or alternatively upload them onto RWTHonline:

  • Application to Enroll at RWTH, signed by you (original)
  • A valid passport, or alternatively personal identification for EU citizens (original and copy)
  • Your original Bachelor's degree certificate or proof of an equivalent degree, including your transcript of records
  • The original translations of your school and university certificates and transcripts; these translations must be completed by a certified translation office or recognized by the German embassy or consulate in your home country. The translation office can either be in Germany or your home country.
  • Original documentation of your required language skills – you can check the specific requirements on our Language Requirements for a Master’s page.
  • Insurance confirmation from a German public health insurance provider (upload). You must have a confirmation from a German public health insurance provider that you either have public health insurance or are exempt from German public health insurance. Before enrolling you must therefore go to a health insurance provider and either purchase an insurance policy from them or be issued a confirmation from them that your current insurance is sufficient. You cannot enroll without this confirmation from a German public health insurance provider. Public health insurance companies include Techniker Krankenkasse, TK, or the Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse, AOK.
  • Proof of termination of studies at a German university if you have previously been enrolled at a German university (upload).
  • Placement confirmation for a higher core semester from the respective RWTH Examination Board (original)

You will only be able to enroll at RWTH once you can provide all the required listed documents.

Play Video
How to enroll at RWTH Aachen University