Enrollment in Master Studies for Internationals



+49 241 80 90674



Welcome Week

Please arrange your travel to Aachen so that you arrive in good time for the Welcome Week. Participation in the Welcome Week is compulsory.


When do I need to enroll and what do I need?

In your admissions letter on RWTHonline, in Self Service, you can find the time and location of your enrollment session at the International Office. Once you accept your study place, you will also be able to see the requirements for the documents needed to enroll in Self Service.

Please note – you must also bring the originals of all the required documents that you are not able to upload as PDFs to enroll at the University – notarized copies without the originals will not be accepted.

You also need to provide documentation proving you have valid health insurance that is also officially recognized in Germany. Make sure you have this documentation before your enrolment session. Please be aware of two things – you either need German statutory health insurance or a confirmation from a German public health insurance company that your private insurance is equivalent. We do not accept travel health insurance. In addition, your insurance status must be reported electronically to RWTH Aachen University by a German statutory health insurance company. Detailed information on this can be found under Student Health Insurance.

What do I do before I enroll?

Before enrolling, log on to RWTHonline to update your personal data, and to upload your health insurance certificate and any other necessary documents, like a pre-internship certificate, termination of enrollment certificate, self assessment, or language certificate.

What documents do I need to prepare to enroll?

If you have received admission, you will need to prepare a few documents to enroll. Please bring the following documents with you to your enrollment session or alternatively upload them onto RWTHonline:

  • Application to Enroll at RWTH, signed by you (original)
  • A valid passport, or alternatively personal identification for EU citizens (original and copy)
  • Your original Bachelor's degree certificate or proof of an equivalent degree, including your transcript of records
  • The original translations of your school and university certificates and transcripts; these translations must be completed by a certified translation office or recognized by the German embassy or consulate in your home country. The translation office can either be in Germany or your home country.
  • Original documentation of your required language skills – you can check the specific requirements on our Language Requirements for a Master’s page.
  • Electronic notification of your health insurance status by a German statutory health insurance fund (not an upload). You must have a confirmation from a German public health insurance provider that you either have public health insurance or are exempt from German public health insurance. Before enrolling you must therefore contact a health insurance provider and either purchase an insurance policy from them or be issued a confirmation from them that your current insurance is sufficient. The health insurance company then reports your status electronically to RWTH Aachen University.
  • Proof of termination of studies at a German university if you have previously been enrolled at a German university (upload).
  • Placement confirmation for a higher core semester from the respective RWTH Examination Board (original)

You will only be able to enroll at RWTH once you can provide all the required listed documents.

Important Information About Your Correspondence Address (Semester Address)

When you enroll, you will be asked to enter a current correspondence address (semester address) in RWTHonline. If possible, we recommend that you enter an address in Aachen or in the surrounding area, as both your Semester Ticket and BlueCard will be sent in the mail. If you do not yet have a local address, you can theoretically also enter your home address first. Please note, however, that the Semester Ticket will be sent to your correspondence address once you have paid your semester fee. If you enter an address outside the EU, your Semester Ticket may potentially not be sent and you will have to pick it up in person from the ASEAG Service Desk instead! Your BlueCard (Student ID) will also be sent to your correspondence address once you have uploaded a photo. Therefore, please make absolutely sure that your Semester Ticket and BlueCard can actually reach you at the address entered as your correspondence address. Please understand that you cannot enter an address within RWTH (institute or administration).

Play Video
How to enroll at RWTH Aachen University