Insurances for students


Health Insurance

If you live in Germany, you have to take out health insurance – it is mandatory to have health insurance in Germany – either with a public or with a private health insurance company. The following is a simplified summary of the rules applying to international students at RWTH Aachen University.

  • Registered students between the first and the fourteenth semester who do not have a degree and who are younger than 30 years may take out a student health insurance policy at a public insurance company; typically, special student tariffs are available. If the above criteria do not apply, you have to take out health insurance with a private insurance company. If you have taken out sufficient health insurance in your home country or a private insurance covering your stay in Germany, one of the public insurance providers can provide you with a written confirmation of exemption from taking out a German health insurance. In order to be exempt from German health insurance, you will have to fill in and submit form E111 – available for EU nationals – or provide similar evidence issued by the responsible body from your home country.
  • Enrolled students, who were insured with a health insurance policy from a public insurance company, but who due to age, their total amount of semesters studied, or the completion of their degree are no longer obligated because of special conditions for students, may renew their policy at the public insurance company, but at a significantly higher tariff.
  • Students attending the German language course or preparatory course at RWTH are not entitled to take out public health insurance although they are registered as students; they have to take out private health insurance.
  • Here international students can find detailed information about health insurance.

Personal Liability & Accident Insurance

You are strongly advised to take out personal liability insurance in addition to your health insurance. Personal liability insurance provides compensation for a third party in case of an accident caused by the student. For further information, please contact the RWTH AStA.

Accident Insurance

All student enrolled at RWTH Aachen are automatically insured against work-related accidents and accidents taking place during university-organised events as well as on the entire premises of the university. Please note that you are not insured during your leisure time outside of the university premises. An accident must be reported to the InfoCenter of the Studierendenwerk Aachen, for example via .

Visiting students, who are completing a project or internship at a RWTH institute but who are not enrolled at RWTH, are not automatically insured against accidents.

Conducting a project or internship without accident insurance can lead to drastic restrictions in your work and may restrict you from even entering the location of the internship, such as a lab. Check with your supervisor whether you need accident insurance for your work at the institute and pay attention to our enrollment deadlines. You may need to purchase private accident insurance in order to conduct your project or internship without having student status at RWTH.

Here you can find further detailed information about insurance.

Household Insurance

Household insurance insures your apartment and valuables against damages, such as fire, theft, water damage, vandalism, and storm damange. If you purchase household insurance, we recommend that you compile a list of all your belonging and keep all of your receipts in order to be able to determine the exact amoung of damage, if necessary. We even recommend taking pictures of valuable belongings, such as an insured bike. In Germany, you are not required to purchase household insurance. Do not purchase any insurance plan if you do not understand the contractual conditions.

If you have questions about insurance, please contact the Info Service Center.

Researchers can find useful information about insurance here.