To make a personal appointment at the Immigration Office in the SuperC, please only use the online appointment tool of the StädteRegion. Due to the high demand, the Immigration Office requests that you make an appointment at the earliest four weeks before the expiration of the residence permit/visa!
If you need an early extension or application for a residence permit for an urgent reason (e.g. to sign an employment contract, to leave the country, etc.), please contact the International Office (Info Service Center for students, Welcome Center for international researchers and doctoral candidates).
Academic Progress Certificate
Since 1 September 2011 an electronic residence permit ("eAT") is being issued.
Your residence permit can be extended if you have not yet completed the purpose for your stay. This is reviewed in some cases and after a certain length of study.
Please apply for an extension of your residence permit six weeks before your valid residence permit expires – it may take some time before you get hold of all the necessary documents the Immigration Office wishes you to submit.
Thus, for example, if you wish to extend your residence permit because
- you have not completed your degree course within the nominal duration and thus need to extend your stay or
- you have transferred into another degree program or to another university after your third semester of study
you will have to submit specific certificates to get your visa extended:
- Certificate of progress of studies of your study advisor
- and/or a certificate of the International Office
- and/or a certificate of your supervising professor
Issuance of the Academic Progress Certificate
If you have to produce an academic progress certificate (the so-called "Studienverlaufsbescheinigung") when applying for your visa extension, please take the necessary steps:
- Provide all certificates for qualifications obtained at RWTH Aachen University, such as:
- your preliminary diploma or a certificate on your intermediate examination (Vordiplom / Zwischenprüfung)
- transcript of records (via RWTHOnline or obtained from the Central Examinations Office - ZPA)
- certificates of participation (if applicable: with grades earned) for all seminars, lectures, and courses attended, as your study advisor usually does not have access on your academic records.
- Please ask your faculty's study advisor for an appointment. Present the documents listed above and ask him or her to provide you with a filled in certificate form (Bescheinigung der Fachstudienberatung zum Studienverlauf / Certificate of progress of studies) summarizing your academic performance. In case your PDF reader cannot open the previously linked editable file, you will find the certificate of progress of studies linked here for printing out. Please hand in the Certificate of progress of studies to the immigration office.
- An additional Study Progress Assessment (SPA) issued by the International Office is required only if your study advisor answered "yes" to point 4.5 on page 4 of the certificate form. At the time of your appointment, you will need to present the certificates of qualification as listed above as well as the academic record as issued by your study advisor.