Car & Driving Licence


SuperC © Copyright: Peter Winandy


+49 241 80 90660



If you wish to drive a vehicle within Germany, you must have a valid driving licence. You may use your exisiting licence but you have to carry a translation into German of the original certificate. Please note that this translation is only valid if it was made by a certified translator. If you have an International Driving Licence, you do not have to provide a translation.

If you have a driving licence issued by a country which is in the European Economic Area (EEA), that's also fine. We recommend however that you carry your student ID card with you in order to present it in the case of a traffic check.

If you come from a non-EEA country, please note that your driving license is valid for six months after your registration with the Registration Office only - if you wish to be permitted to drive a vehicle after this period, you will have to apply for a German driving licence in due course. In order to do so, please get in touch with the road traffic licensing office:

Stadtverwaltung Aachen

Carlo-Schmid-Str. 4
52146 Würselen
Phone +49 (0) 2405 697-0
Fax: +49 (0) 2472 81383
Web Site:

When applying for a German driving licence, please bring the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Residence Permit
  • Valid driver's license (certifed translation if applicable)
  • Eyesight test certificate (issued by a qualified optician)
  • Proof of attendance of a First Aid training course as offered by the Red Cross (German course designation: "Sofortmaßnahmen am Unfallort")
  • Vehicle registration ID card (if you own a vehicle)
  • Passport photo

Students can purchase a RWTH parking permit. You can find all the information at Parking at RWTH Aachen University.