Accommodation in Aachen

  Houses in the center of Aachen Copyright: RWTH Aachen

Finally your own digs!  Whether a room in a dorm, sharing an apartment, or an apartment just for you – If you are going to study or do research in Aachen, you need to start looking for a place early on, because RWTH does not own nor manages any student dorms and therefore cannot provide nor guarantee you housing.


Scam alert!

  1. Some international students have reported fake housing offers. Scammers are very convincing as they sometimes attach a personal ID and a seemingly legitimate lease contract. If a private landlord asks you to pay a large amount of money before you have seen the property, it is probably a scam! Never pay anything until you have actually seen the room or apartment! If you have any doubt regarding an offer, you can contact our . Serious cases should be reported to the police.

Typically, RWTH welcomes more than 8,000 new students every winter semester. The number of people looking for a place to live is equally high at this time. By March and September at the latest, there are few places available in shared apartments, student dorms, or studios. Realistically, the chances of you finding a place to live right before or at the beginning of a new semester are not very high. Thus, we recommend you start looking for a room at least two to three months before classes start.


Search for Accommodation

At RWTH there are several student counseling services that specialize in providing information and advice about housing. These are, for example, the General Students' Committee (AStA), the International Office Housing Advice Service, the international student organization INCAS and the Association of Indian Students in Aachen, or AISA, for short.

These organizations have all teamed up and put together a brochure that offers a great amount of information as well as addresses that are helpful for both German and international students and researchers. Please take a close look at the brochure, which is only available in English, to find out about all the different options for finding a room or an apartment here in Aachen.

You are an international student or researcher and need extra support? The International Office Housing Advice Service can help you with individualized advice and provide further options through private channels. Please fill out the contact form and send it signed via email to . If needed, you can make a personal appointment for private consultation with us.


Special Cases: International Researchers

Unfortunately, doctoral candidates and researchers are not eligible for rooms at Studierendenwerk residence halls. You will thus have to find accommodation elsewhere.

RWTH operates three guesthouses within close proximity to the university campus, which offer short-stay accommodation. In general, reservations must be made very early on (several months ahead), due to high demand and since the guesthouses are often fully booked. A reservation can only be made by your host RWTH Institute. Please contact the institute you'll be working at early to have them check availability.

If you will only be conducting research in Aachen for a limited time, you will likely need a furnished room or apartment. On the Wohnen auf Zeit (temporary housing) website provided by the city of Aachen you will find offers in German for temporary and furnished accommodation. The International Office Housing Advice Service is also in contact with private landlords and landladies who are willing to rent out their property to international researchers. If you are interested in this option, please send the completed contact form to .

For any further support on how to organize your stay at RWTH Aachen University, please get in touch with the Welcome Center for international researchers.



What is a housing entitlement certificate, so-called Wohnberechtigungsschein, and am I eligible for it?

Some publicly funded and therefore lower-priced apartments have specific tenancy requirements. For instance, you need to present a housing entitlement certificate, or Wohnberechtigungsschein, which both German and international students can apply for. Those with little income can check their eligibility for the Wohnberechtigungsschein at WBS Rechner and at the City of Aachen housing office. Please note that both websites are only available in German.

I am living in a Studierendenwerk residence hall. What do I need to consider when moving out?

Even though your rental agreement with the Studierendenwerk runs until the last day of a given month, it is only possible to move out by the last working days (Monday to Friday) of the month and you need to arrange an appointment with the Hausmeister early on, as an official inspection of your room is necessary when handing over your key.

There will also be a "pre-inspection" of your room, approximately 6 to 8 weeks prior to the end of your rental contract in case any larger repairs must be scheduled in advance.

If you fail to follow the correct procedure when moving out or refuse to allow the "pre-inspection", a fee will be deducted from your deposit. For more information, please refer to the Studierendenwerk Questions and Answers page.

I have questions regarding my rental agreement. Whom can I contact?

If you have any questions regarding your rental agreement or if you are having problems with your landlord, you are welcome to contact the legal advice team at the Student Union, or AStA. There you can get advice from lawyers and find out what exactly your rights and obligations are as a tenant. AStA also organizes seminars on the topic of tenancy law. Information on upcoming events can be found here. Under downloads you can also find an AStA brochure on this specific topic. Please note that it is currently available in German only.

I would like to live in the Netherlands. Is that possible?

German or EU students and researchers may live in the Netherlands. Non-EU students have the option of taking part in the Parkstad Limburg pilot project. For more information about this project, please refer to the  Housing Guide or contact the International Office Housing Advice Service.

I would like to rent out or sublet an apartment. Whom can I contact?

If you would like to rent out or sublet an apartment or a house, please take a moment to read our page on information for landlords.