Accommodation in Aachen

  Houses in the center of Aachen Copyright: © RWTH Aachen

Whether a room in a dorm, sharing an apartment, or your very own place – if you are going to study in Aachen or come here for a research stay, you will need to start looking for accommodation early on, because RWTH does not own any student dorms, only has very limited places at its guesthouses and therefore cannot provide you with housing.


Scam alert!

  1. Some international students have reported fake housing offers. Scammers are very convincing as they sometimes attach a personal ID and a seemingly legitimate lease contract. If a private landlord asks you to pay a large amount of money before you have seen the property, it is probably a scam! Never pay anything until you have actually seen the room or apartment! If you have any doubt regarding an offer, you can contact our . Serious cases should be reported to the police.

Typically, RWTH welcomes more than 8,000 new students every winter semester, with hundreds of new employees and guests researchers too. The number of people looking for a place to live is equally high at this time. At the start of the semester it is particularly hard to find a place that is available, especially at a reasonable price. Thus, we recommend you start looking for a room at least two to three months before coming to Aachen.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for doctoral candidates and guest researchers to live in the student dorms run by Studierendenwerk. RWTH has three guesthouses with various accommodation options very near the university campus. As a rule, it is necessary to book very early (several months in advance), as this option is in high demand and the guesthouses are often fully booked. Since only your host institute can make a reservation on your behalf, please contact them early on to check availability.

If you are looking for furnished accommodation for a limited period of time, you will find offers for temporary and furnished apartments in Aachen on the website Wohnen auf Zeit.


Search for Accommodation

At RWTH, several student advising services are specialized in providing information on housing, for example, AStA Students' Committee, the AusländerInnenVertretung (AV), the International Office Housing Advice Service, the international student organization INCAS, and the Association of Indian Students in Aachen, or AISA.

These organizations have all teamed up and created a brochure offering a great amount of information as well as addresses that are helpful for both German and international students and researchers. Please take a close look at the brochure, which is only available in English, to find out about all the different options for finding a room or an apartment here in Aachen.

For international students in need of further guidance, the International Office Housing Service offers individual advising and is also happy to point out private offers to you. International doctoral students and researchers can contact the Welcome Center for International Researchers for housing advice as well as for support in the general organization of their research stay. Please fill out this contact form, sign it, and send it to if you are an international student or if you are an international doctoral candidate. If necessary, you can make a personal appointment for a private advising session with us.



What is a housing entitlement certificate, so-called Wohnberechtigungsschein, and am I eligible for it?

Some publicly funded and therefore lower-priced apartments have specific tenancy requirements. For instance, you need to present a housing entitlement certificate, or Wohnberechtigungsschein, which both German and international students can apply for. Those with little income can check their eligibility for the Wohnberechtigungsschein at WBS Rechner and at the City of Aachen housing office. Please note that both websites are only available in German.

I am living in a Studierendenwerk residence hall. What do I need to consider when moving out?

Even though your rental agreement with the Studierendenwerk runs until the last day of a given month, it is only possible to move out by the last working days (Monday to Friday) of the month and you need to arrange an appointment with the Hausmeister early on, as an official inspection of your room is necessary when handing over your key.

There will also be a "pre-inspection" of your room, approximately 6 to 8 weeks prior to the end of your rental contract in case any larger repairs must be scheduled in advance.

If you fail to follow the correct procedure when moving out or refuse to allow the "pre-inspection", a fee will be deducted from your deposit. For more information, please refer to the Studierendenwerk Questions and Answers page.

I have questions regarding my rental agreement. Whom can I contact?

If you have any questions regarding your rental agreement or if you are having problems with your landlord, you are welcome to contact the legal advice team at the Student Union, or AStA. There you can get advice from lawyers and find out what exactly your rights and obligations are as a tenant. AStA also organizes seminars on the topic of tenancy law. Information on upcoming events can be found here. Under downloads you can also find an AStA brochure on this specific topic. Please note that it is currently available in German only.

I would like to live in the Netherlands / in Belgium. Is that possible?

Students with German or EU citizenship may live in the Netherlands or Belgium. Non-EU students must apply for a German residence title to study in Germany and thus have a registered residence in Germany. It is therefore not possible for non-EU students to live in the Netherlands or Belgium.

I would like to rent out or sublet an apartment. Whom can I contact?

If you would like to rent out or sublet an apartment or a house, please take a moment to read our page on information for landlords.

Play Video