RWTH has set ambitious goals when it comes to gender equality: By 2030, the proportion of female professors shall increase to 30 percent.
Using the "cascade model", equal-opportunity quotas are determined for the various qualification levels (the current quotas for the individual subject groups are specified in the following official announcement).
The data collected as part of the gender monitoring process allow us to observe the representation of women and men in the various university groups and track developments over time.
This makes it possible to detect progress, stagnation, or even setbacks, verify the effectiveness of measures in place, and take further action accordingly.
Moreover, gender monitoring enables benchmarking with other universities at German and international levels.
Of course, there are also people at RWTH who do not identify as male or female. Data collection is currently being revised so that in the future, the total number of students and employees will also include the options of "non-binary" and "prefer not to say". No other details are shown for data protection reasons.
Professors at RWTH
The figures show the current proportions of women and men leadership positions at the University. It can be seen that women are underrepresented at almost all management levels.
Female Students in STEM
This document provides an overview of the development of female student numbers in the STEM courses of study at RWTH Aachen since the winter semester of 2008/09. Remarkably, the proportion of female students in the biology and architecture courses of study is more than 50 percent, while women are clearly underrepresented in computer science, physics, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering and information technology. In these courses of study, the proportion of women is below 20 percent, and the numbers of women taking up studies in these subjects is rising very slowly.
- 2023 Ranking of Higher Education Institutions by Gender Aspects (de)
- Statistics Portal of the NRW Women and Gender Research Network (de)
- Participation figures and statistics on women in European science (She figures) (de)
- European Institute for Gender Equality – Gender Statistics
- GWK Publication: Equality in Academia and Research (de)
- Gender Report for NRW (de)
- CEWS Gender Statistics (de)
- Gender Equality in Executive and Decision Making Bodies at Universities and Research Institutions (de)
- WSI Gender Data Portal (de)