Facts and Figures© Stefan Hense
How many students has RWTH had over so many years? How many employees at the university make sure that everything goes smoothly from enrollment to research proposals? Here, on this page, the university has put together the key facts and figures, current statistics, trends, and developments for you.
Key Figures of RWTH Aachen University
Academics in Winter Semester 2022/23
- 47,078 students in the winter semester of 2022/23
- 6,009 students in the first core semester for a Bachelor's degree, Bachelor's Teacher Training Programs or Medicine/Dentistry Staatsexamen
- 2,773 students in the first core semester for a Master's degree or Master's Teacher Training
- 173 courses of study – of which 16 are private courses of study
- 14,150 international students from 138 countries
- 7,133 graduates in the 2022 academic year – winter semester 2021/22 and summer semester 2022 combined
Staff in 2022
- 557 professors
- 6,264 other academic staff (including externally funded staff)
- 2,979 non-faculty staff (including externally funded staff)
- 472 trainees
Data captured on December 31, 2022
Institutions in 2022
- 9 faculties
- 260 institutes
- 16 Collaborative Research Centers and transregional CRCs
- 41 Research Training Programs (including 11 DFG Research Training Groups)
“Excellence Strategy" Competition of the German Federal and State Governments
- 3 Clusters of Excellence:
- The Fuel Science Center – FSC
- Internet of Production – IoP
- Matter and Light for Quantum Computing – ML4Q. A joint project between the University of Cologne (coordinating university), RWTH, the University of Bonn, and Forschungszentrum Jülich.
- Excellence University RWTH: "The Integrated Interdisciplinary University of Science and Technology – Knowledge. Impact. Networks."
Annual Budget in 2022
- 1,192 million euros total annual budget, including
- 488 million euros in external funding
These documents and additional PowerPoint presentations can be found in the download section of this page.
RWTH Aachen University publishes several statistical documents to show key information about the University in a transparent and engaging way to both interested community members and people outside RWTH. The reference publications described below provide the basis for the University’s differentiated management accounting and control tools, which are essential building blocks of modern university management.
The information compiled in the reports is intended to support the Rectorate, the faculties, and the University committees in their decision-making processes. Information from the Table of Figures and other reference publications is increasingly needed for external university matters, such as the accreditation of degree programs or the compilation of rankings, for instance. The reference publications thus make a valuable contribution to quality assurance and excellence enhancement at RWTH Aachen University.
Table of Figures
In the Table of Figures, RWTH Aachen University has compiled key data for the previous academic year and financial year. The publication thus provides a comprehensive overview of the University’s overall situation, including the number of students, new enrollments, graduates, and staff, as well as financial figures.
The key figures and information listed are determined based on the reporting date. Older versions of the Table of Figures are available in the download area of this page.
A good overview of general RWTH data is provided by the “RWTH Aachen University in Figures” PowerPoint. In this presentation, we give details on RWTH’s development throughout the years, its current structure, and meaningful information on teaching and research. You will find key figures on students, new enrollments, graduates, university capacity, staff, and annual budget depicted in various diagrams.
The PowerPoint “The Big Picture in Figures” focuses on the graphic illustration of various key figures. It provides information on students, new enrollments, graduates, doctorates, professors, employees, the annual budget, scholars’ published articles, and various rankings.
Both are available in German and English in the download area of this page.
Number Of Students: Compact
In the Student Fact Sheet, we have condensed the information on student numbers at RWTH as of December 1 of each year using diagrams and tables.
Members of the University and external affiliates can thus obtain detailed information on the number of students even before the table of figures is published. We have also gathered data about the development of student numbers over time and give you a breakdown by academic disciplines and types of degrees.
As a special feature, this format lists the number of study cases per program.
New Enrollments Fact Sheet
The New Enrollments Fact Sheet shows the enrollment numbers of students in the first semester of their studies according to subjects at different dates over time.
Later in the document, we also show final enrollment numbers per course of study as of December 1 (for winter semester) and May 5 (for summer semester) of a given year.