FAQ About Erasmus+ Traineeships and Internships Abroad in General


Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible to apply for an Erasmus+ scholarship if I don't have an internship yet?

No. You can only apply for funding once you have received confirmation of the internship abroad and the timing and content have been more or less determined, as this information and a signature from the host institution are needed for the Learning Agreement in the application.

Are only mandatory internships funded or can voluntary internships also be funded?

The Erasmus+ program funds both mandatory and voluntary internships. However voluntary internships must be recognized by Erasmus+. For recognition, you need a certificate from the host institution and documentation of the internship stay in the diploma supplement of your home institution. This means that even voluntary internships must be recognized either by earning ECTS or by the internship being entered in the final transcript. You must submit your traineeship certificate or its equivalent to your faculty, department, or examination board. Using this the "Bescheinigung Auslandspraktika" or intership abroad certificate is issued. You then submit this to the Central Examination Office, no later than when you submit your thesis. Your internship will then appear as an additional performance on your final transcript.

How can I find an internship abroad?

Contacts at institutes and chairs, departmental advisors, study abroad coordinators, internship offices: German Academic Exchange Service

Experience reports at www.eu-community.daad.de

International Placement Services ZAV: www.ba-auslandsvermittlung.de

Other Links:

Goethe Institut
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit

Subject-Specific Internship Placements:

International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience, IAESTE
Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques et Commerciales, AIESEC
Bundesvertretung der Medizinstudierenden in Deutschland e.V.
Zahnmedizinischer Austauschdienst
Institutions such as the British Council and Institut Francais, domestic companies or organizations with international connections, and internship databases online, such as Job Openings for RWTH Students

I can't open the Learning Agreement for Traineeships on the website. What do I do?

First, try and save the document and then open it. If you are still unable to open it, we can send you the document via email.

What do I write under "Monitoring plan" in the Learning Agreement?

The mentoring plan describes how you will be mentored during the internship in order to ensure it is successful. Here you can include the name of your contact abroad and at RWTH, whether you will regularly check in with them, and any other mentorship information.

What do I write under "Evaluation plan" in the Learning Agreement?

In the evaluation plan, you can write, for example, how the internship abroad will be evaluated at the end. You should include whether an internship certificate will be issued, an internship report will be written, and/or results from the stay that will be evaluated for a thesis.

If I am completing a voluntary traineeship, what box needs to be checked by the sending institution, usually the faculty's study abroad coordinator, on pages 3/4 of the Learning Agreement for Traineeships?

Since a certain type of recognition is mandatory for a traineeship funded by Erasmus, it is important that this is previously arranged in the LA.

For mandatory traineeships ("1. The traineeship is embedded in the curriculum...") ECTS are usually awarded or "Yes" is marked for one of the other types of recognition possibilities listed.

For voluntary traineeships ("2. The traineeship is voluntary...") the second section is used. It is important that some type of recognition has been assured in advance. As voluntary stays are usually not awarded a grade or CP, the option "Record the traineeship in the trainee's Diploma Supplement" is typically selected.

If you would like to have your voluntary traineeship recognized, you can learn how under "Are only mandatory internships funded or can voluntary internships also be funded?."

Who signs the Learning Agreement for Traineeships under "sending institution"?

The Learning Agreement is signed by the faculty and confirms the traineeship's relevance to your study. It is typicaly signed by the respective study abroad coordinator at your faculty/department or an authority appointed by your institution, such as the examination board. The signatory is responsible any necessary adjustments and recognition of the credit points (or similar) and any related learning results on behalf of the responsible academic body as indicated in the learning agreement. The individuals that are to be listed in the Learning Agreement are detailed in the annex.

Can the signatures on the Learning Agreement for Traineeships (LA) be scanned?

Yes. You do not need to submit the original Learning Agreement for Traineeships, meaning that entries and signatures from abroad particularly can be acquired via email.

Does the signed original of the Grant Agreement have to be submitted or can I submit a scan or copy?

The original Grant Agreement must be signed and submitted.

Do I have to submit proof of skills in the native language or working language?

You must submit proof of language skills in the agreed upon working language and at the level agreed upon in the Learning Agreement for Traineeships. However your language skills must be at least at the B1 level. The working language does not have to be the native language.

What language do I have to write my statement of motivation in?

The statement of motivation can be written in either German or English.

I have registered in the application portal in the past. Now when I log in, I am unable to enter a new application and only see my old application. What do I have to do in order to be able to apply?

Please register with a different email address. You should still enter your RWTH email address in the application form.

What insurance do I need for an internship abroad?

You need accident and private liability insurance as well as health insurance for abroad. You are not insured by RWTH during your internship abroad. It is possible that your host institution will insure you. However, this should be indicated in the Learning Agreement for Traineeships. The DAAD offers a combined insurance package for all three insurances: Tarif Praktikanten (Tarif 720).

Does citizenship play a role in eligibility for Erasmus funding?

All traditionally enrolled students at RWTH can participate in Erasmus+ regardless of their citizenship. Non EU-citizens should make sure procure a work and/or residency permit as soon as possible.

What do I need to pay attention to regarding a work permit?

Some countries require students with certain citizenship to acquire a work permit for internships. There are exceptions for ERASMUS+ traineeships in most countries though. Students should contact the respective embassy or consulate. It is also possible to attain the status "Erasmus+ Trainee", even if financial funding through the program is not possible. To do so, students should apply for the status "Label" or "Zero Grant" Erasmus+ trainee.

What internships are excluded from receiving funding?

All internships at any European institution and institutions that administer EU programs are excluded. Internships from returnees can only be funded if the primary residence is not in the same country as the internship.

Can I extend or shorten my internship?

Yes, however your internship cannot be less than 60 days or more than 12 months and extend beyond the entire Erasmus+ funding duration in the respective study cycle. To extend your Erasmus funding, you must email the completed and signed "Learning Agreement for Traineeships during the mobility" one month before the originally planned end of the stay.