Studying Abroad

  Woman in front of the Thames with Big Ben in the background © Constanze Herbertz

Going Abroad?

Sublet your room to an international student!


Would you like to spend some time abroad as part of your studies?

Whether in Europe or further afield, whether during your Bachelor's or Master's degree – on this page you will find an overview of the various exchange opportunities in a one- to two-semester stay abroad as well as structured mobility programs at RWTH.


How do I plan my stay abroad?



  1. Gain intercultural experience
  2. Acquire and master new language skills
  3. Get to know a different university system and teaching methods
  4. Complement your study profile
  5. Include a stay abroad in your curriculum
  6. Promotion of independence and personal growth

The best way to learn more about the different forms of study abroad as well as the application process are the Group Advising Sessions and Consultation Hours of the International Office. You can also find more news about residency opportunities as well as testimonials from former outgoings on the International Office's Instagram account.

In addition, the Go Abroad Week takes place annually, where, in addition to the International Office, the faculties, the Career Center, the Language Center as well as external organizations provide information on studying abroad.

To get an overview of the different partner universities of the RWTH, please use our search tool. There you will also find experience reports from former outgoing students, which contain helpful tips for planning a stay abroad.

In addition, we would like to point out that you should think about how to finance your stay in advance, as these stays can generate high costs.

Would you like to study abroad, yet not alone, rather with your child(ren)? Find out about your options!

Do you want to get your apartment back after your stay abroad? Sublet your accommodation to an international student and get it recognized under the Certificate International thanks to the My Home is your Castle program!


What Programs Are Available at RWTH?


Semester abroad


With the Erasmus+ program you can study abroad in Europe and receive financial support at the same time. The amount of funding depends on the group of countries your destination is classified as. Each faculty offers different exchange opportunities with European universities. Your faculty will be happy to advise you on what is on offer.


RWTH maintains worldwide partnerships with universities in Asia, North and South America, Australia, and Russia. The tuition fees are usually waived here. Our database provides an overview of exchange opportunities at RWTH, which you can sort by subject and country. In this way, you can quickly and easily find the exchange opportunities that are suitable for you, as well as experience reports from former outgoing students.

Stays via Faculties

In addition to worldwide university collaborations and European Erasmus collaborations, some faculties have non-European partnerships. Unlike university collaborations, only students enrolled in a course of study at the faculty can apply for faculty collaborations.


RWTH Aachen University is part of the European network ENHANCE. Together with its partner universities – Chalmers University of Technology, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Politecnico di Milano, Technische Universität Berlin, Universitat Politècnica de València, and the Warsaw University of Technology – RWTH strives for mobility without boundaries. Find out more about the diverse exchange opportunities here!

Free Mover

As a free mover you can complete your stay abroad independently of RWTH Aachen University's partnership programs. You are free to choose your preferred university and the desired duration of your stay. You have to independently organize your stay abroad. To plan your stay, it is important you prepare early and contact the host university about a year before you would like to start your stay. You must pay any tuition fees yourself. Free movers can apply for the same scholarships as exchange students going abroad under a partnership agreement.


Structured Mobility Programs

UNITECH International

UNITECH International is a network with Chalmers University of Technology, ETH Zurich, INSA Lyon, Loughborough University, Politecnico di Milano, Trinity College Dublin, and UPC Barcelona, as well as industrial partners. The program offers a combination of a semester abroad, industrial internship, coaching, and workshops and is aimed at RWTH students in engineering, computer science, physics, and biotechnology. The stay lasts a year.

Double and Triple Master Degree Programs

At RWTH, you have the opportunity to earn an additional degree at another university as part of your Master's program. This usually means at least a one-year stay at the host university. Please note that this offer is only valid for certain degree programs. Apply for a double Master at your department, not with International Office.

T.I.M.E. Double Degree Program

Tsinghua Double Degree Program

TGGS Double Degree Program

NCTU Double Degree Program

Double Degree Program with Audencia Business School, Nantes

Double Degree Program with School of Economics, Ljubljana

Double Degree Program with Seoul National University (SNU), Korea

Triple Degree Programme: European Mining Course (EMC)

Erasmus+ Blended Intensive Programmes – BIP

The Blended Intensive Programs, BIP for short, are an innovative new offering among the various Erasmus+ programs.

BIPs combine online teaching concepts with a financially supported stay abroad. Thus, students have the opportunity to participate in a recognized and innovative course concept, where they get to collect ECTS credits and simultaneously develop intercultural competencies.