Advanced Research Opportunities Program (AROP)
- Target Group:
- Doctoral Candidates
- Direction / Place:
Advanced Research Opportunities Program
- Send Email
AROP scholarship holders who have previously received AROP funding are unfortunately not eligible for further funding.
Scholarships and Travels Grants for Research Stays at RWTH
RWTH Aachen University offers scholarships and travel grants to support the research stays of doctoral candidates and postdocs from strategically relevant international universities or research institutions. Funding is provided by the Excellence Strategy of the German federal and state governments.
The goal of the Advanced Research Opportunities Program (AROP) is to develop and/or strengthen bilateral relations with international partner institutions. In addition to receiving funding for their research stay and travel, AROP scholarship holders may participate in German-language courses and intercultural training at RWTH.
Moreover, RWTH’s Welcome Center for International Researchers offers advice to scholarship recipients before and during their stay in Aachen and supports applicants with all questions, academic and otherwise, about their stay.
Who Can Apply?
Doctoral candidates and postdocs of strategically relevant international universities and research institutions, which are either RWTH partner institutions or plan to initiate a partnership with the University.
Support for Incomings
- A monthly stipend of 1,800 euros for a period of up to 6 months
- A travel grant of 1,000 euros (lump sum)
- German language classes and intercultural training
Goals of AROP
The goal of the program is to strengthen and intensify bilateral relations between RWTH Aachen University and international universities and research institutions of strategic relevance. Among other purposes, the research stays may be used to prepare joint research projects and publications, initiate joint projects in the field of capacity building, develop teaching projects at the partner university, or organize future visits and student exchange programs.
- Invitation letter from RWTH Aachen University
- Strategic relevance of the home institution in accordance with the internationalization strategy of RWTH Aachen University
- Prospects of building sustainable long-term collaboration or, in the case of already existing relations, to strengthen and extend these partnerships to other areas of research
- Applications must be submitted by March 31 or September 30
Please submit all of the following application documents in the English language:
- Curriculum Vitae, including contact details (postal and email address)
- Statement of purpose with reference to the research project, duration of the stay, expected outcome and future perspective of the cooperation – see “Goals of AROP” and “Selection Criteria” for details.
- Invitation letter issued by a professor of RWTH Aachen University: This letter should include a brief description of the joint project and outline the duration of stay, expected outcome (if possible), and future perspectives of the collaboration.
- Research schedule: Please indicate the intended time frame of your stay and outline the specific research activities you plan to undertake within this time frame.
- List of recent publications
Please note that it is of utmost importance that you secure the support of an RWTH Aachen University researcher willing and able to host you as a supervisor for your research project. If you are in touch with an RWTH researcher already, please reach out to them to discuss the details of your intended project. Should this not be the case, please make sure to thoroughly investigate and identify one or two RWTH researchers who match your prospective research topics as closely as possible. As a next step, please contact the most suitable researcher you have identified, briefly outlining your research proposal. For this purpose, it is advisable to include your CV, a brief motivational letter, and a one-page research proposal.
Once you have discussed your project with your prospective RWTH supervisor, please email all your application documents in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not hesitate to contact us before you submit your application if you have any questions – we will be happy to assist!
After Your Application Has Been Submitted
The AROP selection committee will assess all eligible applications within approximately four to six weeks after the end of the respective deadline. Should your application have been successful, you will receive an email with further information on how to plan your stay at RWTH Aachen University and other details.
Testimonial From Participating Institutes
The AROP Program's support for Dr. Barreto's stay and funding has proven very productive both for our research and for consolidating collaboration with the University of the Andes. As a result, we have already carried out the first joint research and teaching activities, we have submitted a joint application for funding to the DFG, and another Colombian student is preparing an application to the DAAD for funding for a doctoral stay at RWTH.
Univ.-Prof. Burkhard Corves