Living with Children and Individual Life Situations



+49 241 80 93579




Student Services has affordable apartments available for student families. Both of the religiously-affiliated student services KHG and ESG also offer affordable apartments.

It is also a good idea to have a housing entitlement certificate issued, a so-called Wohnberechtigungsschein (WBS), if you can qualify for it. With this certificate you can claim to be housed in publicly funded and therefore lower-price appartments. A housing entitlement certificate – Wohnberechtigungsschein – is always valid for one year after issuance and can be applied for at the city of Aachen housing office.

Acknowledgement of Paternity/Custody

Paternity should be acknowledge beforehand if a child's parents are not married at the time of birth. This can be done at the Jugendamt or Standesamt. It is also possible to arrange joint custody before the child is born, if the parents wish to do so.

Single-Parent (Guardianship/Maintenance Allowance)

Single-parents can get support from the Jugendamt in cases of child maintenance (maintenance allowance). If the parent required to pay the maintenance allowance is unable to pay for a child's maintenance, the Jugendamt can temporarily help cover the maintenance cost. Here you can find further information.