Talk Lehre 2016 - Quality Assurance and Management in Studies and Teaching
Talk Lehre, which was held for the sixth time on June 29, 2016, was shaped by quality assurance and management in teaching at RWTH Aachen. The rector of RWTH Aachen, Ernst Schmachtenberg, and AStA chair, Fabian Kommer, welcomed over 200 guests and members of the University.
This was the first time an external expert and speaker was invited to the event. Professor Philipp Pohlenz spoke on the topic "Quality Management in Studies and Teaching – a Must or a Trend?." He illustrated the challenges and possible solutions for a quality management system and emphasized that it is only possible to successfully meet all quality expecations when all groups at the university are included.
Afterwards professor Robert Schmitt discussed the challenges at RWTH and show how teaching in Aachen can be improved with quality goals worked out together.
The vice-rector for human resources management and development, Doris Klee, then awarded the title of RWTH Lecturer to scientists, who distinguish themselves through their outstanding teaching and simultaneous commitment to research.Copyright: © Andreas Schmitter
During the poster exhibition innovative teaching and learning projects could once again present themselves to the event's attendees. It also offered participants a chance to discuss with one another.
Selected Projects and Best Practice Examples
The second part of the event was dedicated to presentations on selected projects and best practice examples from teaching at RWTH. Professor Jan Borchers showed how it is possible to teaching technical content in an entertaining manner, increasing students' enthusiasm and motivation, and pushing them to think. Using a developed application professor Janina Fels presented what technical possibilities are available for interactive access to acoustics in university teaching. With the project Speak Up! professor Stella Neumann presented new ways to improve pupils' English speaking skill and simultaneously enrich training for teacher training students and her own teaching. Professor Sandra Korte-Kerzel explained what measures can be taken to descriptively teach complex technical content in materials physics, thsu contributing to an improvement in the students' learning situation. Marina Weingartz and professor Udo Kamps presented a skill and practice oriented blended learning concept for the module Statistcis for Students in Industrial Engineering.
During the final panel discussion, participants held a controversial discussion on quality management in studies and teaching under the motto "No-Brainer or Administrative Nail in the Coffin," reflecting on the impressions from the day.Copyright: © Andreas Schmitter
RWTH Lecturers Honored
At the end of Talk Lehre, Vice-Rector Doris Klee, honored eight scientists with the title of RWTH Lecturer, who earned the title with their oustanding teaching and simultaneous committment to research.
2016 RWTH Lecturers
- Dr. Martina Roß-Nickoll from the Faculty of Mathematics, Computer Science and Natural Sciences
- Dr. Claus Helmut Pütz from the Faculty of Architecture
- Dr. Peter Urban from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Dr. Holger Kalisch from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
- Dr. Timo Lothmann from the Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Dr. Dirk Lüttgens from the School of Business and Economics
- Dr. Ralf Hausmann from the Faculty of Medicine
- Dr. Matthias Knobe from the Faculty of Medicine
- Dr. Cord Spreckelsen from the Faculty of Medicine
- Agenda Talk Lehre 2016 (pdf: 1010 kb)
- Qualitätsmanagement in Studium und Lehre – Muss oder Mode?, Philipp Pohlenz (pdf: 1915 kb)
- Qualitätsmanagement an der RWTH Herausforderungen und Lösungen, Professor Robert Schmitt (pdf: 1505 kb)
- Interaktiver Zugang zur Phänomenologie der Akustik in der Hochschullehre, Janina Fels, Michael Kohnen, Jonas Stienen, Michael Vorländer (pdf: 2247 kb)
- Neue Wege in der Praxisorientierung im Studium, Stella Neumann und Frauke Intemann (pdf: 448 kb)
- Viel Stoff = wenig Praxis?, Professorin Sandra Korte-Kerzel (pdf: 1981 kb)
- Stat-Wi-Ing: Ein kompetenz- und praxisorientiertes Blended Learning Konzept zur Statistik, Marina Weingartz und Udo Kamps (pdf: 951 kb)
- Video 01: Begrüßung durch RWTH-Rektor Professor Ernst Schmachtenberg und Fabian Kommer
- Video 02: Qualitätsmanagement in Studium und Lehre – Muss oder Mode? Professor Philipp Pohlenz
- Video 03: Qualitätsmanagement an der RWTH; Professor Robert Schmitt
- Video 04: RWTH Lecturer 2016; Professor Doris Klee
- Video 05: Motivation, Mitmachen, Medien- Lehre für die Nutzer gestalten; Professor Jan Borchers
- Video 06: Interaktiver Zugang zur Phänomenologie der Akustik in der Hochschullehre; Professorin Janina Fels
- Video 07: Speak up - Neue Wege in der Praxisorientierung im Studium; Professorin Stella Neumann
- Video 08: Viel Stoff = wenig Praxis; Professorin Sandra Korte-Kerzel
- Video 09: Ein kompetenz- und praxisorientiertes Blended Learning Konzept zur Statistik; Professor Udo Kamps und Marina Weingartz
- Video 10: Podiumsdiskussion im Rahmen des Talk Lehre 2016