Talk Lehre 2020 – Digitalization in Teaching and Learning
The coronavirus crisis quickly and unexpectedly confronted RWTH Aachen University with major challenges at the start of 2020. Maintaining teaching and research operations while reducing contact as much as possible has required concentrated and cooperative action from everyone involved – from the staff in the chairs and service facilities to the central university administration and the students. Accordingly, Talk Lehre 2020 took place under special conditions. Initially planned for June 17, 2020, the event was rescheduled and took place virtually on the afternoon of November 12, 2020.
The main focus was the digitalization of teaching and learning in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. The event aimed to show what had worked well in e-teaching so far, where the pitfalls lie, what is being discussed controversially, and which ideas and concepts can be built on in the future. A total of 340 individuals registered for the event and took part in the different formats.
In various lectures and live demonstrations, teachers and students presented projects, concepts, and best practice examples from their faculties and departments that already offer quality teaching formats for the digital age. With the “DigiFellowship 2020” and “DigiFellow student award,” RWTH was happy to present two innovative concepts that are specifically promoted within the framework of university-wide competitions. As in previous years, the RWTH Lecturer title was awarded to selected junior lecturers who have distinguished themselves through their outstanding teaching activities and simultaneous commitment to excellent research. Dr. Malte Persike of the Center for Learning and Teaching Services moderated the event.
RWTH Rector Ulrich Rüdiger and Paul Heuermann, AStA Advisor for Teaching and University Communication, emphasized in their welcoming speeches the crucial importance of teaching at RWTH, the accelerated digitalization process at the University, and the enormous commitment of all involved in the pandemic situation.
Finally, after a short introductory keynote lecture, Talk Lehre ventured a look at what is ahead for teaching and learning in 2021 in an open discussion round. For example, discussing how we might want to teach and learn in the future, how the work of university educators can be structured, or where we as a university community are headed. There was ample opportunity to ask questions in all sessions, join in the discussion, and exchange ideas.
To view the detailed event program, please click on the PDFs in the yellow box above. You can find videos of the individual talks under "external links" at the end of this page.
- Livestream from the Laser Lab – Designing an Interactive Guided Online Tour (pdf: 452 kb)
- Instructor and Student Survey – Results (de) (pdf: 3755 kb)
- Learning Analytics and Educational Data Mining at RWTH (de) (pdf: 3391 kb)
- Online Information Days: The Physics Degree Programs at RWTH (de) (pdf: 1634 kb)
- Transition to Online Teaching: The Example of the Remote Sensing in Geography Course (de) (pdf: 2116 kb)
- Remote Internships (de) (pdf: 2935 kb)
- Transition to Remote Learning: The Case of Online Lab Courses (de) (pdf: 2074 kb)
- Digital Learning Environment: Structural Analysis In Construction – A Holistic Approach (de) (pdf: 4221 kb)
- Looking Ahead: Teaching and Learning in 2021 (de) (pdf: 683 kb)
- Math in the Natural Sciences – Interactive Exercises in Different Subject Areas (de) (pdf: 791 kb)
- Keynote Speech: Outlook on Teaching and Learning in 2021 (de)
- E-exams (Almost) Without Limits – Recording Conventional Exam Contents in E-exams (QuickEScan) (de)
- "Hydro-OER" – Joint Development Project Between FH Aachen, University of Bonn, and RWTH (de)
- Mathematics in the Natural Sciences: Demonstration of Interactive Exercises in Different Subject Contexts (de)
- Switching to Virtual Teaching With the Example of the Remote Sensing Course (Geography) (de)
- Physics Lab Courses as a Minor Subject in an Online Semester (de)
- Learning Analytics: Improving Teaching Using Big Data (de)
- DecisionMaster 2020 (OER-Projekt) (de)
- Instructor and Student Survey Results (de)
- Virtual Learning Environment – Structural Analysis – as a Holistic Concept (OER-Projekt) (de)
- Separately Together. Collaborative Practical Work While Distancing (de)
- LIVE Stream From the Laser Lab – Interactive Guidance Despite the Coronavirus (de)
- Avatar-Based Teaching and Learning in the MyScore Project (de)
- PDF Livestream – Think Along Instead of Taking Notes (de)
- Online Information Days in Physics (de)