Car & Driving Licence

  RWTH parking garage Copyright: © Martin Braun


SuperC © Copyright: Peter Winandy


+49 241 80-90660



If you wish to drive a vehicle within Germany, you must have a valid driving licence. You may use your existing licence but you have to carry a translation into German of the original certificate. Please note that this must be a certified translation, that is, the translation must have been made by a certified translator, a diplomatic representation, or even an automobile association. If you have an International Driving Licence, you do not have to provide a translation.

Driving Licenses From EU/EWR Countries

If you come from an EU or EEA country and have a valid driver's license, you may use it to drive a vehicle in Germany and do not need to apply for a German driver's license. As soon as your driver's license is no longer valid, you would have to apply for a German one.

Please note: The EU or EEA licences are not valid in Germany if the licence holder resided in Germany at the time the license was issued, unless the holder acquired the licence as a student or pupil according to Section 7 (2) FeV during a stay abroad of at least six months.

Transcription of Driving Licenses From Third countries

If you come from a country that is not a member of the EU or the EEA, your driver's license is only valid for six months from the time you become a resident in Germany. Apply for a German driver's license in good time before the end of this six-month period. In many cases, you will have to go to driving school, pass a theory test, and take a driving test. For further information, please contact the Department of Motor Vehicles of the Städteregion Aachen.

Students can purchase a RWTH parking permit. For more details, please visit Parking at RWTH Aachen University.