Social Matters & Legal Advice

  Three women talking Copyright: © Martin Braun  

Social Benefits for Internationals?

As a rule, students are not eligible for social security benefits according to the Federal Social Security Act. According to the Immigration Act, international residents in Germany may forfeit their residence permit if they are unable to support themselves and their family.


Legal Advice and Aid

According to the Act on Legal Advice and Representation for Citizens with Low Income (Beratungshilfegesetz), residents who cannot afford to pay a lawyer are offered legal advice free of charge. The applicant's month net income serves as a criterion for eligibility.

International residents also have the right to apply for free legal advice if their enquiry or concern relates to a legal situation in Germany. You may get legal advice on issues pertaining to Civil Law, Administrative Law, Constitutional Law and the Law of Administrative Offences. Free legal advice is not available for matters pertaining to Employment Law, Social Law, and Tax Law.

For a minor token fee, the Legal Advice Office of the competent county or district court issues an eligibility certificate for legal counsel.

Legal Advice Provided by the Students' Union (AStA)

Students at RWTH Aachen University may seek free legal advice from a lawyer acting on behalf of the Students' Union (AStA). International students and researchers seeking legal advice have to arrange an appointment with the AStA social department. Please present your student ID card at the appointment. Please note that typically there is a 7 to 14 days waiting period for an appointment.