Prospective students on their way to enroll at RWTH © Martin Braun

Before you can begin your studies, you will have to enroll. To make the process run as smoothly as possible, we have put together all the important information for you here.


International Prospective Students

International students who are not processed the same way as Germans must always first apply and enroll at the RWTH Aachen International Office.


Language Requirements

Please note that you must provide proof of your language skills for degree programs with restricted admission and for degree programs with open admission before the enrollment period ends. You can therefore apply without submitting valid language certificates.


Important Documents


Enrollment or Application?

Make sure you know the difference between application and enrollment.

Before you enroll, however, you must always apply for your desired courses of study through RWTHonline during the application period. The application is followed by admission and the next step is your enrollment, which you do yourself. By enrolling you get a study placement at RWTH, that is you become a member of the university.

In the courses of study with open admission, that is those with sufficient study placements, you will generally receive your letter of admission directly after applying, thus enabling you to enroll during the enrollment period at RWTH. You then only have to make sure to enter any necessary remaining information and proceed with the subsequent steps for enrollment. Please note you must have already uploaded all your documents when entering the remaining details in order to complete enrollment. The application view in your account displays the documents that are needed in your case.

In some courses of study, there are more prospective students than study placements available. RWTH has applied for restricted admission at the responsible ministry for these courses of study. Please refer to the current RWTH Info or our courses of study to see what subjects have restricted or open admission.

Enrollment for Doctoral Studies

Do you want to complete doctoral studies at RWTH Aachen? Here you can find all the relevant information about doctoral studies, enrolling for doctoral studies, and further training opportunities for doctoral candidates at RWTH Aachen. We also offer special information about doctoral studies enrollment for internationals.


Enrolling at RWTH Aachen University is as easy as this - only available in German


Frequently Asked Questions

How does enrollment work?

All the information regarding enrollment and the next steps after that can be found at RWTHonline.

Is the enrolment process online or in person?

Enrollment is online only.

Where do I enroll online?

You first apply through RWTHonline. Here you will fill out your enrollment application step by step. You will be asked for the date on which you earned your university entrance qualification, whether you have already graduated from another German university, and what degree you earned, for example. Therefore, please try to have all the information about your education thus far complete and at the ready. If your application is successful and you are admitted to the course, you must first accept the study placement and upload proof of enrollment. You will then enter the remaining details required and finally upload your enrollment application.

What documents do I need to upload with my enrollment application?

Using the information you provide during your application, RWTHonline will determine and inform you of the documents you need for enrollment. Once you have entered all the required information, you will get access to the application for enrollment. You will then need to sign this application and upload it to Selfservice.

Who is responsible for enrollment?

RWTH Registrar's Office respectively International Office is responsible for enrollment.

What are the deadlines for online enrollment?

In the download area you will find the application and enrollment deadlines as well as in the self-service view in RWTHonline.

What happens once all my documents have been uploaded?

After you have submitted all the required documents, they will be reviewed by the respective clerk. If they are all in order, the last step is the payment of the semester fee.

The information about the payment of the student body and social contribution fee (semester fee) will be shown to you on RWTHonline.

As soon as you have transferred this amount to RWTH Aachen University and it has been received by the University Bursar, you are officially enrolled at RWTH. You will receive a CouponCode from us by email within 48 hours. 

From this point on, you can also print out a BAFöG certificate, progress of studies certificate, or a current certificate enrollment form at RWTHonline as many times as you like. Your student ID card, the RWTH Aachen BlueCard, will be sent to you by mail. As soon as your card has been produced, we will notify you via email at your RWTH address.  ASEAG will send you your Semester Ticket separately in the mail.


When do I receive my "real" enrollment certificate?

You can personally retrieve and print out your enrollment certificate as often as you would like through RWTHonline.  Paper enrollment certificates are no longer distributed by RWTH.

Can I cancel my enrollment?

Yes, however this is only possible if courses have not yet started. In this case, the student body and social contribution fee will be reimbursed to you in full. Once courses have started, you have to terminate your enrollment.  In that case, the student body and social contribution fee will not be reimbursed in full.

Semester Dates

Can I enroll in a Magister or Diplom course of study?

No, you can only enroll in a Bachelor or Master course of study.

Current Courses of Study

How can I change my correspondence address?

After registering on RWTHonline, you can update your correspondence address at any time via the "Study/home address" application. To do this, first open your business card and then the corresponding application.

How do I get the proof of health insurance required for enrollment to RWTH?

According to the Student Health Insurance Reporting Ordinance (SKV-MV), all students must prove they either have public health insurance or that they are exempt from the health insurance requirement before enrolling at RWTH Aachen University.

We require electronic proof, so please contact the statutory health insurance company of your choice as early as possible to get the process started. They will email the information to us directly. Please give your health insurance provider the following dispatch number (Betriebsnummer) for RWTH Aachen University: H0000784.

We only need the electronic notification from the health insurance company. An insurance card or a written membership certificate will not be accepted as proof. In the download area, you will find further information on this topic.

Which documents do I need for my application and enrollment?

You will find the documents and proofs you need for your application or enrollment in the application and enrollment wizard of RWTH Aachen University "RWTHonline".

How can I apply for a Master program if I do not yet have a Bachelor certificate?

If you do not yet have your Bachelor's degree certificate when you enroll for your Master's degree, you can enroll with a provisional degree certificate.

This certificate must contain the graduation date including the stamp and signature of the university. A 4.0 certificate is not sufficient. For internal transfer students from the Bachelor's to the Master's program, the successful completion must be visible in RWTHonline.

My enrollment documents are complete, but I still cannot enroll. Why is this?

This could be due to the following reasons:

  1. Fee not received or
  2. Fee received-message not yet received (takes 24 hours).

If neither of the above two possibilities is applicable, please send an email to .

Whom do I contact if I am having technical difficulties?

If you have any questions about the application form or technical problems, please contact .

Please describe your problem in as much detail as possible with screenshots.

Can I study if I have not yet achieved an Abitur?

What do I need to do to obtain a certificate of good standing?

If you want to transfer to another university, the certificate of good standing is usually issued by the examination board of the new university - based on a performance record of the old university. If you actually need a certificate of good standing from RWTH Aachen University, the respective examination board of RWTH Aachen University would be responsible for this.

You can obtain a corresponding certificate either via RWTHonline or from the Central Examination Office.

All information about the certificate of good standing and the responsible contact persons can be found here.

How can I receive a refund of the semester fee?

You need to apply for a refund of the semester fee in order to get it reimbursed. A complete refund of student body and social contributions is only possible until the last working day before the start of lectures.

How can I terminate my enrollment?

For all information on terminating your enrollment, please visit the page Termination of Enrollment.

Where can I locate the certificate that shows that I have terminated my enrollment?

Once you have terminated your enrollment, you can download the certificate that says that you have done so in RWTHonline.

Where do I need to go to return my BlueCard once I have terminated my enrollment?

Please send the Blue Card to the Registrar's Office of RWTH Aachen University, Templergraben 57, 52062 Aachen.

How do I apply for a leave of absence?

Please submit the application for leave of absence, including sufficient evidence, to the Registrar's Office by mail or e-mail. The following proofs are accepted:

  • Official proof including signature and stamp (reason for leave: internship or semester abroad).

An e-mail is not considered official proof.

Where do I need to transfer my semester fee?

Please see this website for all the information on re-enrollment.