Heinrich Hertz Scholarships
- Target Group:
- Doctoral Candidates
- Direction / Place:
Heinrich Hertz Scholarships are awarded by the Federal State of North-Rhine Westphalia.
Eligible for funding are not only students with outstanding academic achievements who wish to spend a research or study period at a NRW university, but also international researchers intending to conduct research at a university located in North-Rhine Westphalia.
Please note that applications are to be made by the candidate's host institution (the inviting professor, chair, or institute, for example).
Funded are also NRW academics who wish to spend a study or research. The application is to be made by the NRW sending institution, typically the candidate's professor or supervisor.
Applications are to be submitted to the
Ministry for Innovation, Science, Research and Technology
– Heinrich Hertz Foundation –
Völklinger Straße 49
Your Contacts at the Ministry
Phone: +49 211 896 4266
Phone: +49 211 896 4343
In Outline: The Application Process for Incomings
Applicants should provide the following documents:
- CV (in German), including comprehensive information on the applicant's academic career and key areas or research
- Copies of all available degree certificates (translated into German). Students please provide a record of academic qualifications (academic record / transcripts) as well as their school-leaving certificate (A-levels, German Abitur, or equivalent)
- The above does not apply for researchers employed at university, who are to submit a resume of their research activities only.
- Summary of the envisaged research project, including a time schedule
- Details on the duration and expected expenditures (funding amount) of the research project
- If appropriate: information on the applicant's financial situation: does the candidate obtain financial support by third parties (family, industry, funding bodies)? Is the candidate being paid by his or her home institution during his or her research stay in NRW?
- Language Certificate proving that the candidate has sufficient German language skills
- For students: information on his or her (professional) goals after graduation
- Statement on whether the candidate has applied to another funding institution for grants, allowances, or scholarships
- Document which states the names and addresses of two potential academic referees at German universities who would be able and willing to provide a professional opinion on the candidates academic / research achievements (including phone no., fax no., e-mail address)
Outgoing applicants please refer to the web pages of the Heinrich Hertz Foundation (Application).