Visa and Residence Permit


Please note

The immigration office’s branch at Super C has discontinued its open consultation hours. To make an appointment, send an stating your first name, family name, birth date and purpose of the appointment and attach a scan of your passport.

Special appointments granted at short notice will no longer be available.



+49 241 80 90679




If you are a citizen of a country in the European Union, EU, or one of the member countries of the European Economic Area, EEA, you do not need a visa to travel to Germany nor do you need a residence permit. If your stay in Germany should last longer than 90 days, please contact the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees to find out what your obligations are.

If you are a citizen of a country not included above, you will need a visa to travel to Germany, regardless of the reason for your stay.

The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees provides detailed information about entry regulations for Germany.

Residence Permit

If you are not a citizen of an EU-country and you will be staying in Germany for longer than 90 days, or longer than your visa allows, you must apply for a residence permit at the local Immigration Office in due time.
Please note the following important information regarding applications for a visa or residence permit:

  • You can only apply for a residence permit after you have already registered your residence in Germany.
  • It is only possible for you to sign an employment contract after a residence permit has been applied for or if a visa can be presented that expressly permits the taking up of work at RWTH Aachen University.

Residence law information for students can be found here.

Where to Apply for a Residence Permit

The Branch of the Immigration Office of the Aachen City Region at RWTH is responsible for international doctoral candidates and researchers with a registered primary residence in the Städtregion Aachen.