- Prof. Dr. Armin Schnettler
- Faculty / Institution:
- Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
- Societal Challenges
- Project duration:
- 01.11.2017 to 31.10.2020
- EU contribution:
- 3.905.060 euros
Synergistic Approach of Multi-Energy Models for an European Optimal Energy System Management Tool
Plan4RES is a collaborative research and innovation project which aims at developing an end-to-end planning tool to successfully increase the share of renewable energy into the European Energy system without compromising on system reliability. The targeted platform will account for the Pan-European interconnected electricity system, potential synergies with other energy systems, emerging technologies and flexibility resources, providing a fully integrated modelling environment.
Moving away from a monolithic approach will enable to overcome mathematical and computational challenges. The objective is to strive towards a system where a multiplicity of models, properly organized in a functional hierarchy, synergistically contribute to the analysis of such complex systems.
Targeting all main stakeholders of the power system, from generation to retail through grid operators, this innovative modelling platform will deliver a full system planning capability while considering a large set of future uncertainties, thus acting as a decision making tool for future investments. Allocation of multi-energy resources, system flexibility, assets portfolio assessment, advanced ancillary services or impact assessment of regulation are among the key features that the tool will deliver.
- Electricité de France, France (Coordinator)
- Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, United Kingdom
- Siemens Aktiengesellschaft, Germany
- Cray Computer GmbH, Switzerland
- Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum für Informationstechnik Berlin, Germany
- Consorzio Interuniversitario per l'Ottimizzazione e la Ricerca Operativa, Italy