Authentication of Your Documents (Apostilles)
Certification of DocumentsCopyright: RWTH Aachen
In the present context, a certification is an official confirmation by a suitable person that a copy document is a true copy of the original document.
Certification through the University Administration
Registrar's Office: during consultation hours
For organizational reasons, during the application and enrollment period between May 22 and September 30, the Registrar’s Office does not offer its document certification service. During this period please contact the Citizens' Service at the Katschhof and Bahnhofsplatz offices for certifications.
- International Office:
- Bachelor’s and Master’s students Stanislava Petkova, by appointment only.
- Doctoral candidates and researchers: Welcome Center für international Forschende, by appointment only.
Please note that we only authenticate diplomas, certificates, or academic records – issued by RWTH or an institution abroad – if they are needed to apply for studies or doctoral studies at RWTH. To have these documents notarized, you must bring both the original and the required copies with you.
At the Internation Office, we charge 1.50 euros per page authenticated, and our offer is limited to a maximum of three certifications per document. Please note that we cannot certify copies of personal IDs, passports, or vital records, such as birth or marriage certificates.
Certification by the AStA General Students’ Committee
The General Student’s Committee of RWTH Aachen University – AStA – offers certification services every workday from 10am to 2pm. Please note, however, that not all institutions accept documents certified by AStA.
Certification by the City of Aachen
The City Council also offers certification services. Fees for the authentication of documents however are different from those of the University Administration. For further information, please visit the respective web pages of the City Council.
Most countries accept certificates and documents issued by RWTH Aachen University as long as they carry the official seal of the university, that is a circular stamp. Some countries, however demand that the documents are aditionally certified with an apostille, which confirms the authenticity of the signature of a university document, such as a diploma or other certificate. Apostilles can only be issued by an administrative office of the German state. An apostille for official documents issued by RWTH Aachen University are provided by the District Government of Cologne – Bezirksregierung Köln.
Please note that in order to obtain an apostille from the District Government of Cologne, you will need the signature of one of the following members of staff of RWTH Aachen University on your RWTH documents:
- Certificates and Diplomas, etc:
- Registrar's Office: Torsten Dickmeis or Britta Jansen (by proxy) – apostilles for original RWTH diplomas and certificates
- Registrar's Office: Eva Kaspar and Heike Jussen – apostilles for certified copies. Please bring the original and copy.
- Central Examination Office: Nadja Mertens – apostilles for original RWTH diplomas and certificates
- International Office: Stanislava Petkova – apostilles for documents issued by the International Office to Bachelor’s and Master’s students, Welcome Center for Researchers – apostilles for documents issued by the International Office to doctoral candidates and researchers