RWTH Staff Mobility Worldwide – SMWá
Staff Mobility for Continuing Education, Training, and TeachingCopyright: RenÚ Seyfarth
- Target Group:
- Doctoral Candidates
- Direction / Place:
RWTH Staff Mobility Worldwide, SMW for short, promotes continuing education and training measures for scientific and non-scientific university staff. This program intends to aid their professional development and expand the University’s internationalization beyond the countries involved in the Erasmus Program.
Advantages of the Program
You can tailor the time and focus of the further training
Exchanging ideas and gaining new perspectives with fellow professionals
Enhancing your skill set
Developing and expanding networks
University staff from all areas – both scientific and non-scientific – can participate in RWTH Worldwide and receive financial support for continuing education and training.
Countries Involved in the Program
In principle, this program presents the opportunity to study at universities and research institutions worldwide, providing certain requirements can be met, which are outlined in the "Application and Documents" section below. If we receive a large number of applications, the following will be used as selection criteria:
- The chosen university is a strategic partner or a partner university of RWTH
- The measures and objectives stated are particularly in line with RWTH's internationalization strategy
For staff mobility in Erasmus program countries, please use the offers for Erasmus+ Staff Mobility for Further Training or for Erasmus+ Teaching Staff Mobility Staff Training Assignment = STA.
- Participation in a staff training week
- Capacity building measures at the chosen university
- Job shadowing, including at clinics
- Study visits
- Participation in workshops and seminars
- Participation in language courses
Duration of Stay and Financial Support
RWTH Worldwide staff mobility can last from a minimum of 2 consecutive days up to a maximum of 60 days in total. A maximum of ten days of a mobility stay will be financially supported.
RWTH provides financial support for travel and accommodation expenses in accordance with the Law on Travel Expenses for North Rhine-Westphalia and the Foreign Travel Expenses Reimbursement Regulation.
RWTH Worldwide funding is not provided for:
- Participation in conferences
- Visits that are exclusively intended to initiate new university partnerships, so-called Preparatory Visits
- Participation in Summer/Winter Schools
- Any kind of participation fees
SMW aims to promote equal opportunities and inclusion for all employees, which is why participants with a disability as well as single parents can have easier access to the program and receive special support. Please contact RenÚ Seyfarth for further information on this.
You are in charge of preparing and organizing your stay as far as possible. You must therefore contact your desired institution to ensure that there is indeed an opportunity for you to pursue a working visit and that they would welcome this.
You must have sufficient insurance protection to cover your stay abroad, as no insurance will be provided with the mobility grant.
Application and Documents
You may submit an application at any time. Please note that the following documents must be submitted to RenÚ Seyfarth at least six weeks before the start of the stay:
- A signed statement of purpose and a cost calculation in one document.
- The statement of purpose or the cover letter, which should be 1 to 2 pages and state which additional qualifications you hope to acquire, why you chose the particular university to achieve this objective, and any specific dates or measures planned for the stay. Alternatively, if you are pursuing a teaching opportunity, you should indicate the specific significance of the additional range of courses offered at the chosen university and/or the additional benefit for your own teaching at RWTH.
- The calculation of the expected travel and accommodation costs should only reflect estimated values; a detailed statement of costs or cost estimates is not required, as expenses are only processed in official claims in accordance with the the Law on Travel Expenses for North Rhine-Westphalia.
- When the statement of purpose and cost calculation are signed by the head of the respective university institution at RWTH this is regarded as approval of mobility.
- An invitation from the chosen university including confirmation of the period and the purpose of the stay, as well as any resources provided if applicable; e.g. own workplace, supervisor, etc.
- Upon your return, you must submit a short report outlining your expectations, experiences, and findings during your stay. This report as well as the travel expenses claim upon your return are further funding conditions.
Due to the tense political climate in some countries, we recommend regularly checking the Federal Foreign Office’s website for safety information and travel advisories.