New Board of Governors at RWTH Aachen University
On November 15, 2012, RWTH Aachen welcomes the old and new members of the University’s Board of Governors. Rector Ernst Schmachtenberg and Angela Claßen, representative of the NRW Ministry for Innovation, Science and Research, bade farewell to the current members of the Board whose term will end on November 27.
The tasks of the Board of Governors – a steering and advisory body to the University – include the election and dismissal of members of the Rector's Office, supervision of the management activities of the Rector's Office, and approval of the university development and budget plans as well as the target agreements. Furthermore, the Board is to provide the University with new impulses and ideas from various areas of research, society, and business and industry.
In the past five years, members of the Board were Prof. Dr. Peter Gomez, Prof. Dr.mult. Reiner Kopp, Dr. Jürgen Linden, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Hans-Ulrich Lindenberg, Dr. Ulrich Schuster, and Dr. Fiona Williams. Three members will continue their work on the new Board, Prof. Dr. Gudrun Gersmann, Dipl.-Volkswirtin Irmtraut Gürkan and the Board’s chairwoman, Dr. Lucia Reining, who took over the Chair when the Chairman of the Board, Dr. Alfred Oberholz, unexpectedly died early in 2011.
New Board of Governors in Office Until 2017
The members of the Board of Governors come from industry, business and academia. From November 27, the Board will consist of the following members:
- Dr.-Ing. Bernd Bohr, Managing Director at Robert Bosch GmbH, Head of the Automotive Engineering Section
- Prof. Dr.phil. Gudrun Gersmann, Professor of History of the Early Modern Period at the University of Cologne
- Dr. Robert G. Gossink, Chair of the Board of University Hospital Aachen
- Dipl.-Volkswirtin Irmtraut Gürkan, Director of Finances at the University Hospital Heidelberg
- Prof. Dr.rer.nat. Dr.h.c. Jürgen Mlynek, President of the Helmholtz Association
- Dipl.-Phys. Anna Nelles, Doctoral Candidate in Astrophysics at Radboud University Nijmegen
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dierk Raabe, Director and Chair of the Management of the Max-Planck Institute für Eisenforschung GmbH
- Dr. Lucia Reining, Directrice de Recherche am Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Paris
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Siegfried Russwurm, Member of the Board/CEO Industry Sector Siemens AG
- Prof. Dr.rer.nat Margret Wintermantel, President of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
The members of the Board will stay in office until November 27, 2017.