University Entrance Qualification Certificate


In accordance with Section 49, Paragraph 2 of the North Rhine-Westphalia Higher Education Act, you require a university entrance qualification certificate, typically the Abitur certificate, for admisison to studies at RWTH Aachen.

The following documents also allow you to begin studies at RWTH Aachen:

  • subject-related university entrance qualification certificate, which may be earned through graduation of the gymnaisal higher level of a business college or through attending a preparatory college, that is a Studienkolleg,
  • proof of qualification through a vocational activity or
  • successful completion of studies at a university of applied sciences or a university

Please note

An advanced technical certificate or university of applied science entrance qualification is not sufficient to apply for studies at RWTH Aachen University. Students with this qualification can apply to a technical school, for example the Aachen University of Applied Sciences.


If the university entrance qualification certificate was acquired outside of Germany, then the evaluation of international education certificates takes place according the evaluation recommendations from the Office of International Education. You can find information on the Anabin website on whether or not your completed education allows you to gain admission to a course of study and to which ones. You can also use the website to recalculate your grade point average or average grade into the German grade system.

Particularity Regarding German Citizenship and a Foreign Secondary Degree

German citizens with a foreign secondary school certificate require a federal recognition of their university entrance qualification certificate in order to apply and enroll at RWTH.

For German citizens wishing to study in North-Rhine Westphalia, this recognition (including a recalculation of grades) is issued by the Certificate Recognition Office in Düsseldorf.

Since processing the certificate recognition usually takes some time, we strongly recommended that prospective students contact the Certificate Recognition Office immediately after receiving their certificate in order to apply for the recognition.