Enrollment for Internationals
Deferral of Your Admission from 2020 Summer Semester to 2020/21 Winter Semester
If you have been admitted to an open-admission course of study in summer semester 2020 but do not want to enrol in light of the current difficult situation caused by the coronavirus outbreak, you have the opportunity to defer admission until winter semester 2020/21. Candidates who have been admitted to a restricted-access course of study, however, cannot defer admission – they need to re-apply within the application period (until July 15, 2020 for the 1st course semester, until September 15, 2020 for higher course semesters) if they want to start their studies in the winter semester.
In case there are any changes in the admission requirements for a course of study between the summer and winter semester, such as the introduction of a mandatory GRE, this does not apply to candidates who have been admitted for the summer semester but want to defer admission and enrol in the winter semester.
If you want to use the option to defer your admission from the summer to the winter semester, please reply to the email you have received from Division 2.1 – Admission and Social Affairs.
Please note that as of today, it is only possible to defer your enrolment from sommer semester 2020 to winter semester 2020/21. If you want to enrol for summer semester 2021, you will have to re-apply according to the regulations currently in place.
If you have any questions, we are happy to assist you via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have received the notification of admission to doctoral studies from the doctoral committee, you must prepare some documents to enroll. Below is a list of the documents needed:
- A valid passport. EU citizens can alternatively present their identity card.
- Letter of admission to doctoral studies at a RWTH Aachen faculty issued by the doctoral committee
- Original Bachelor’s and Master’s degree certificates or certificates for equivalent degrees
- Translations of your degree certificates and academic record/transcript with grades, translated by a certified translator recognized by the Germany Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The translation agency can be located in Germany as well.
- If demanded by your supervisor: Originals of your language certificates.
a) If your dissertation is written in German: Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang, DSH, or: Test für Deutsch als Fremdsprache, TestDaF, or an equivalent language certificate.
b) If your dissertation is written in English: International English Language Testing System, IELTS for short, with a grade of 6.0 or higher; or: Test of English as Foreign Language, with at least 80 IBT or 550 PBT points; or: Certificate in Advanced English, CAE.
- Evidence of your health insurance from a public Germany health insurance provider. If you have taken out sufficient health insurance in your home country or a private insurance covering your stay in Germany, one of the public insurance providers must provide you with a written confirmation of exemption from taking out a German health insurance. Please note: without presenting this written confirmation, you cannot be enrolled at RWTH Aachen. Public insurance providers are, for example, are Techniker Krankenkasse, TK for short, oder die Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse, AOK.
- If you were enrolled at a German university in the past: Proof of de-enrollment or exmatriculation from this university
- If your letter of admission included a list of missing documents still to be submitted or presented, such as language certificates or academic records, please provide these documents
- The original written confirmation by your doctoral supervisor that he or she is willing to supervise your doctoral thesis
Please note that all these documents must be submitted before you can be enrolled.
You can enroll during the following times in Division 2.1 - Admissions and Social Affairs, Templergraben 57, SuperC, 5th floor, Room 5.27-5.29 during the opening hours.
- Enrollment for winter semester: August 1 to the last working day (Monday to Friday) before Christmas
- Enrollment for summer semester: February 1 to June 30